New Mids Purchased - PRV 5MR450-NDY-4

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
@Jeffdachef I'm tagging you, primarily, because you recommended what I purchased, and have experience with their bigger brothers, the 6.5. I just bought a pair of PRV 5MR450 neos to upgrade my aging mids. Obviously I will play around with the crossovers for best sound, but I wanted to get your input. My current 5.25s are crossed at 500 and 2500....I think. Can't remember if I left it dropped to 2200 or not when I was playing the other day. lol I've got 8's in the door crossed from 80 to 500, as well as 1" tweets. Do you feel 500 is acceptable, or should they be crossed a little higher/lower? I chose that for my current JBLs based on trial and error, and will probably do the same for the PRVs, but I wanted to get your input as well. And, of course, anyone else who wants to chime in! :)

[quote name='Sguirrelfeather']@Jeffdachef I'm tagging you, primarily, because you recommended what I purchased, and have experience with their bigger brothers, the 6.5. I just bought a pair of PRV 5MR450 neos to upgrade my aging mids. Obviously I will play around with the crossovers for best sound, but I wanted to get your input. My current 5.25s are crossed at 500 and 2500....I think. Can't remember if I left it dropped to 2200 or not when I was playing the other day. lol I've got 8's in the door crossed from 80 to 500, as well as 1" tweets. Do you feel 500 is acceptable, or should they be crossed a little higher/lower? I chose that for my current JBLs based on trial and error, and will probably do the same for the PRVs, but I wanted to get your input as well. And, of course, anyone else who wants to chime in! :)[/QUOTE]I had the 6.5 neos for a while. 500 is great for those mids. What's the efficiency of your other woofers? Those PRVs get loud as hell

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

[quote name='Sguirrelfeather']@Jeffdachef I'm tagging you, primarily, because you recommended what I purchased, and have experience with their bigger brothers, the 6.5. I just bought a pair of PRV 5MR450 neos to upgrade my aging mids. Obviously I will play around with the crossovers for best sound, but I wanted to get your input. My current 5.25s are crossed at 500 and 2500....I think. Can't remember if I left it dropped to 2200 or not when I was playing the other day. lol I've got 8's in the door crossed from 80 to 500, as well as 1" tweets. Do you feel 500 is acceptable, or should they be crossed a little higher/lower? I chose that for my current JBLs based on trial and error, and will probably do the same for the PRVs, but I wanted to get your input as well. And, of course, anyone else who wants to chime in! :)[/QUOTE]

you can go as low as 200-300hz if you are on clean rated power. If you are putting a lot of power to them like double RMS then you want to cross a little higher right around 400hz to where you are at. but if its less than rated power, you can cross as low as 160hz, just dont clip.

However depending on your car and install location you might be able to cross lower or you might be forced to cross higher... I alway push the limit of how low i can cross it, you'll easily tell if the speaker doesnt like it if it starts making mechanical noise, you can just turn down the volume immediately and cross back up higher if you want. Who knows, you might even get down to 100hz. My 6.5 neos went down to 63hz in a speaker cabinet.

you can go as low as 200-300hz if you are on clean rated power. If you are putting a lot of power to them like double RMS then you want to cross a little higher right around 400hz to where you are at. but if its less than rated power, you can cross as low as 160hz, just dont clip.
However depending on your car and install location you might be able to cross lower or you might be forced to cross higher... I alway push the limit of how low i can cross it, you'll easily tell if the speaker doesnt like it if it starts making mechanical noise, you can just turn down the volume immediately and cross back up higher if you want. Who knows, you might even get down to 100hz. My 6.5 neos went down to 63hz in a speaker cabinet.
I'll definitely play around a bit. Wanted to get input from someone with experience. Excited to play with these....just taking forever to get here it seems.

I had the 6.5 neos for a while. 500 is great for those mids. What's the efficiency of your other woofers? Those PRVs get loud as hell
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've got PWX-8. Don't know what their efficiency is....can't find it anywhere on their site, and I don't have the boxes in front of me. Hopefully everything will balance out easily enough. If not, I'll either adjust power levels or get forced to buy louder mid-bass....which will probably require more sub, which might require more amp. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to be looking for excuses to buy more stuff, am I? lol

I'll definitely play around a bit. Wanted to get input from someone with experience. Excited to play with these....just taking forever to get here it seems.

I've got PWX-8. Don't know what their efficiency is....can't find it anywhere on their site, and I don't have the boxes in front of me. Hopefully everything will balance out easily enough. If not, I'll either adjust power levels or get forced to buy louder mid-bass....which will probably require more sub, which might require more amp. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to be looking for excuses to buy more stuff, am I? lol
if your pwx 8s arent making your shorts fly and piercing your lungs with the kick drum and overall making sound like you dont even need subs in the car, something's wrong with the install.

[quote name='Sguirrelfeather']@Jeffdachef I'm tagging you, primarily, because you recommended what I purchased, and have experience with their bigger brothers, the 6.5. I just bought a pair of PRV 5MR450 neos to upgrade my aging mids. Obviously I will play around with the crossovers for best sound, but I wanted to get your input. My current 5.25s are crossed at 500 and 2500....I think. Can't remember if I left it dropped to 2200 or not when I was playing the other day. lol I've got 8's in the door crossed from 80 to 500, as well as 1" tweets. Do you feel 500 is acceptable, or should they be crossed a little higher/lower? I chose that for my current JBLs based on trial and error, and will probably do the same for the PRVs, but I wanted to get your input as well. And, of course, anyone else who wants to chime in! :)[/QUOTE]

You were able to find the PRV 5.25 neos? All I can find is the 5" n 6.5" because those are what I really wanted but since I couldn't find it in that size I was gonna change it all.

You were able to find the PRV 5.25 neos? All I can find is the 5" n 6.5" because those are what I really wanted but since I couldn't find it in that size I was gonna change it all.
No, I replaced my 5.25 with the PRV 5". The cutout difference was maybe 1mm, surprisingly. lol

if your pwx 8s arent making your shorts fly and piercing your lungs with the kick drum and overall making sound like you dont even need subs in the car, something's wrong with the install.
Oh, the PWX does quite well....but I know the install still needs work. They're in door pods, and I don't have the whole thing sealed well enough yet, but they do rattle the leg quite nice.

As for the PRVs, DAYUM!!! I turned the gain to just a hair under 125 watts. With all of the attenuation from the EQ, etc, I figure they're getting about 70 actual watts when my HU is cranked up, and **** do they get loud! However, I must say that I am very impressed. Not only do they get loud, but they're VERY clear! I'm hearing more of the spectrum than I did before, and with less power. More clarity, crispness, etc etc on the mids. I'm happier than a pig in sh*t!

No, I replaced my 5.25 with the PRV 5". The cutout difference was maybe 1mm, surprisingly. lol

Oh, the PWX does quite well....but I know the install still needs work. They're in door pods, and I don't have the whole thing sealed well enough yet, but they do rattle the leg quite nice.

As for the PRVs, DAYUM!!! I turned the gain to just a hair under 125 watts. With all of the attenuation from the EQ, etc, I figure they're getting about 70 actual watts when my HU is cranked up, and **** do they get loud! However, I must say that I am very impressed. Not only do they get loud, but they're VERY clear! I'm hearing more of the spectrum than I did before, and with less power. More clarity, crispness, etc etc on the mids. I'm happier than a pig in sh*t!
Well maybe I should stay, with my original plan to get these n a set of those pwx for my doors. Soundslike I would have been disappointed with that Orion set up after reading this

Well maybe I should stay, with my original plan to get these n a set of those pwx for my doors. Soundslike I would have been disappointed with that Orion set up after reading this
Can't speak to the Orions. I had a decent set of JBLs which sounded great...or so I thought. lol These 5s are impressive, and the PWX 8s really do an impressive job. I've got leaky doors due to the design from the factory. The door panel doesn't pop on or bolt in. It slides down into channels, so when the panel is actually on, there are six 1" x 2" channels still wide open which I have yet to figure out how to seal. The doors have CLD, CCF, MLV, 1" thick fiberglass ceiling tiles sealed in plastic, 3/8" MDF filling the large holes in the door using butyl rubber sealant, and I have open cell foam behind the speakers in my homemade door pod (the PRV location is sealed and the PWX is vented into the door cavity). With the sub turned off via the HU (but 8s still crossed over at 80Hz with a 12dB slope) I get more bass than any factory system I've heard, even when they had subwoofers. Beats even the 8" subs I had installed in the doors until I could get these bought. lol Yes, I was desperate.

Just wait tell you get 450 watts to them. They turn into a completely different monster sound quality wise. It mainly just gets a lot smoother and pleasant sounding even at high volumes.
See, I knew you were evil! I already need more bass and sub-bass to keep up with these little buggars. If I decide to throw some big wattage at em, I'm going to wind up with like 12 15s in the back of my truck to compensate, and I'll be able to afford potato sacks as clothes for the kids! lol

They have **** for xmax..
they arent midbass by any means so xmax is completely irrelevant. The MR in their name stands for midrange.... if you didnt figure it out. They arent jacks of all trades they are meant to be in a 3 way front stage as a dedicated mid, especially the 5.25s

they arent midbass by any means so xmax is completely irrelevant. The MR in their name stands for midrange.... if you didnt figure it out. They arent jacks of all trades they are meant to be in a 3 way front stage as a dedicated mid, especially the 5.25s
Find me some of the 5.25 JeffDaChef lol. Do you know if they are even going to make them anymore?

But they move your pants legs? I'm just confused as to which servers you recommend for a 2 way. I ordered the neo pro v3s and I'm getting recones for the mb8s. I'm pretty sure my dumb coworker kept kicking it and fucked it up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.