New Install. Three Problems. Please Help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jezzey
10+ year member

Wi
Sorry to keep posting. I am at a loss. I recently installed an external amplifier, wires, and speakers. I installed a headunit, RCAs, and the remote wire in January. The headunit has performed flawlessly. After installing the amplifier, I had an issue where my mid drivers were not playing. After measuring the resistance I determined that it was a short caused by the speaker terminals making contact with my aluminum soundproofing. I rotated the speakers so this was no longer the case. The system sounds much better, but there are three new issues:

One: At random, all sound to my speakers will stop and then resume one second later. It isn't related to bumps or turns. The only consistency that I can find is that it will not occur within the first 20 minutes of driving and it doesn't seem to occur less than 20/50 volume (gain set around 50%). To put this volume in perspective, it is about as loud as a conversation. So it might be tied to volume, but it doesn't need to be loud. The sound seems to cut out at random. Sometimes it doesn't happen for 4 hours of driving; sometime it happens twice in 30 minutes. The amp feels warm to the touch, but not hot. I improved the ground as first diagnosis indicated this might be the problem. I measured all of the resistances and the ground. Someone recommended that I test the voltage and ground with the amp on. If someone could elaborate on how to do this, it would be appreciated:

Front left tweeter:3.8 ohm

Front left mid driver: 3.5 ohm

Front right tweeter: 3.5 ohm

Front right mid driver: 3.4 ohm

At the amp:

front left: 3.8 ohm

Front right: 3.7 ohm

Rear left: 4 ohm

Rear right: 4 ohm

Ground test (one pole in power wire and one pole in ground wire): 12.33 V

This plays into my second issue: The right front speaker is louder than the left front. The tweeter and the mid driver are both louder on the right front. I would say that it is 15-20% louder. I want to get a second opinion to make sure I’m just not a little deaf in one ear, but I can feel the mids are stronger from the right. I would think that the measured resistance indicates that something is wrong. Could someone guess as to what (or give me a test?) I may have to rotate my speakers again, I just hate doing it since my spacers have 4 extra sets of holes already and I would hate to have them looking like pincushions (took a lot of time and effort to fabricate those things).

Third issue: My FM radio signal is weaker. The HD stations have little to no static by the city, but even those lose signal (ie static) at locations they didn’t use to. The non HD channels have static most places (not in prime signal locations). Is this normal behavior? Does the deck amp have some sort of signal boost that is lost when I switch to an external amplifier? I should mention it is a cheap ($150) 5 channel amplifier (with good reviews). This isn’t the biggest deal, but I wonder if it is an installation issue causing issues elsewhere.

Any help is appreciated! I figure my first test will be to swap the two front RCAs with each other to verify the cable isn’t the problem.

One: have u set or Gaines properly with a dmm or oscope

Two: I kinda have the same issues too with right being louder than left. I was thinking since its closer to u that that is normal. U can try to use the balance on or head unit

Three: HD stations will sound better due to being digital I don't think HD will get static. U way want to check ur antenna.

Shame you couldn't watch the amp when it happens to see if protect light comes on or if power light goes out.

Is that 12.3V with engine running?

You can simply switch left and right speaker wires to the amp (and RCA's left to right) alternately to test the left and right output inconsistency. I'd guess it's just the acoustics of the vehicle playing with you.

I can't imagine antenna being compromised by adding an amp unless you disconnected the cable to it while messing with the HU

For the record, what amp is this?

Shame you couldn't watch the amp when it happens to see if protect light comes on or if power light goes out.

You can simply switch left and right speaker wires to the amp (and RCA's left to right) alternately to test the left and right output inconsistency. I'd guess it's just the acoustics of the vehicle playing with you.

I can't imagine antenna being compromised by adding an amp unless you disconnected the cable to it while messing with the HU

12.3V with the vehicle off. How do I test it with it on (with a multimeter)? Do I just put the probes against the power and ground while plugged into the amp (at low volumes)?

Yeh I never touched the headunit. The cables have been installed for 6 months. All I did was plug them in. I can't imagine that pulling on the antenna. It also doesnt explain why the HD channel (on the FM) have better reception than the non HD (and both are worse than they were with the deck amp). I'm going to mess with my speaker wires at break.

I can actually hear my amp go into protect mode. The lightbulb flickers on and off on the amp and it is actually audible. About a week ago, I heard this happen. I have reseated all my cables and any subsequent time this occurred, I could not hear the amp go into protect. The problem with this issue is that it is impossible to replicate. I unplugged and power and ground and replugged them in a few days ago. I also going a single loose strang of copper just chilling by the speaker terminals (maybe it was bridging the two). Since then it hasn't cut out. That isn't saying much though. Last time it didn't occur for two days, then twice in 30 minutes the next.

I swear the lows seem to kick a little harder after the sound kicks back on, but it might be my imagination.

This is a RE Audio 500.5 amp. Have you ever heard of a weaker FM signal strength caused by the addition of an external amp?

Maybe it has to do with the amp remote wire? I used the one that was attached to the RCAs (knukonceptz (not the OFC) 4 guage kit (last year's kit). It is high guage. probably 26-30 guage. I wouldn't think this would matter though. I have always been under the impression that the remote is only responsible for telling the amp when to turn on and off.

Well I'm an idiot. I believe I solved most of problem #2 . When I went to test resistance the night before last, I inverted polarity on my front left speaker. They are much more similar in volume now. Should I be concerned about the right tweeter resistance? it is 0.3 ohms lower than the left.

Well I'm an idiot. I believe I solved most of problem #2 . When I went to test resistance the night before last, I inverted polarity on my front left speaker. They are much more similar in volume now. Should I be concerned about the right tweeter resistance? it is 0.3 ohms lower than the left.
That could simply be an inaccurate DMM or manufacturing tolerance. .3ohm would be inaudible difference.

RE isn't a bad amp, I wouldn't suspect that's a problem. The wire that runs along your RCA cable is very thin. That could easly be a problem.

If the power-on light is going off when it cuts off I'd run a new thicker wire to remote turnon. If a protect light comes on it's likely a short or possibly an internal fault in the amp, though I think the latter is unlikely.

The wire is extremely thin. I didn't realize it until later. I would hate to run a new wire, but will if need be. I unplugged and reconnected all wires on the amp 3 days ago (with an exception of the inverted wires on my front left which I fixed yesterday). I haven't had an issue since. I am starting to get hopeful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jezzey

10+ year member
Jezzey
Wi
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from