New install, speakers too loud

When your amp/sub setup is too quiet never crank the gain to the max. Set the gain properly(DMM method, oscilloscope) always. The gain(level in your case) is not a volume knob. Two 12" Type Rs in a ported box should get a lot louder than your factory amplified speakers. The problem is likely not enough bass passing into the cabin. How does it sound when you go back and open the trunk?

When your amp/sub setup is too quiet never crank the gain to the max. Set the gain properly(DMM method, oscilloscope) always. The gain(level in your case) is not a volume knob. Two 12" Type Rs in a ported box should get a lot louder than your factory amplified speakers. The problem is likely not enough bass passing into the cabin. How does it sound when you go back and open the trunk?
It sounds good but I can just tell the speakers are louder than they should be. I could have the subs to the volume they were in my other car but then the other speakers would be even louder.

the monsoon amp is likely MUCH better than the amp in the Sony HU. you are feeding the Axxess a signal through the RCA plugs on the Sony HU, correct?
The harness is just being fed by the 4 speaker outputs on the head unit. There's no RCA input on it. Only the sub amp if being fed from the RCA jacks from the back of the amp.

gmos04.jpg

You need those plugs. You need to feed it a low level signal. Simply inserting a LOC in place is a simple test. Or even wiring the RCA outputs to the speaker inputs could do the trick, provided the input impedance is 10k ohms or so.

The older models used speaker level inputs. Newer models seem to use low level inputs

You need those plugs. You need to feed it a low level signal. Simply inserting a LOC in place is a simple test. Or even wiring the RCA outputs to the speaker inputs could do the trick, provided the input impedance is 10k ohms or so.
The older models used speaker level inputs. Newer models seem to use low level inputs
I don't have a LOC but you're suggesting if I wire the RCA outputs from the Sony HU to the speaker inputs on the amp it MIGHT help?

It would achieve you goal of making the music volume match sub volume.
Or use the correct GMOS-4
How so though? The head unit is still going to be putting out the same amount of power to the amp, it's just a alternative way of getting it there.

How are there two different GMOS-4s? The box says GMOS-4 on it and I installed it and it works. I really don't like the amp though, I just wish it could be adjusted and it seems like it'd be kind of hard to remove.

cant he just adjust the setting on his headunit? for the door speakers ofcourse...
I wish, but no. There's no option just to turn the speakers down. It would be VERY useful if there was like a volume offset.

The RCA outputs are low level. Less than a volt most of the time.

The speaker outputs are high level. Several volts or tens.

Power is voltage squared. Substantial difference.

You need to give the factory amp a much lower signal voltage to achieve your goals.

The RCA outputs are low level. Less than a volt most of the time.
The speaker outputs are high level. Several volts or tens.

Power is voltage squared. Substantial difference.

You need to give the factory amp a much lower signal voltage to achieve your goals.
I'll have to give that a try this weekend. Could I just strip the + and - speaker wires, twist them together and attach and RCA plug to them to attach to the head unit?

couldn't he just wire in a voltage regulator before the amp? i would think this would be the easiest possible solution and the easiest to reverse should he ever need to go back to stock. i may be a ******* though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

skatingrocker17

10+ year member
skatingrocker17
Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from