New install, speakers too loud

skatingrocker17
10+ year member

Ohio
First off, I posted this on another car audio forum, it's been a few months since I've been on a car audio forum and just remember that this is the one that I prefer because there's actually enough people here that someone can actually help you out.

I just took all of my stuff out of my 2006 Malibu and put it in my 2007 Lacrosse.

Here's everything I put in:

Sony XNV-770BT navigation head unit

Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D

Two 12" Alpine Type-Rs (4ohm) running at 1ohm

I used a different wiring harness in my install, I used the Axxess GMOS-04 Class II OnStar® Interface for Amplified Systems.

Here's the problem, I'll use the volume level 20 (on my head unit) for reference, at 20 in the Malibu everything was perfect, it was loud and the subs really showed their power over the rest of the speakers. I only had the amp turned up about half way.

Now, in the Lacrosse the volume is super loud at about volume level 12, and I know the subs will get just as loud but the problem is that the other speakers are just louder so I can't feel the subs as much. If I turned it up to 20 like before the subs would need to be louder. I turned up my amp all the way but the speakers are just too loud. Before I had the speakers and subs at about the perfect level but I just can't reach the level anymore. I would assume the problem is in the factory amp of the car, it has the "premium sound system" and the Monsoon amp must be making the speakers too loud, I know it sounds weird but I'd like to turn them down. There's almost no quiet anymore, 5 is loud and it goes up to 50.

Is there any way I can turn down the rest of my speakers since I can't turn the amp up anymore?

First, you need to be careful when you "turn up my amp". A bass knob is for the bass EQ adjustment. You need to use caution with this because you can overheat the subwoofers, which will reduce their lifespan. Another side effect of too much bass boost is overheating the amplifier. It might be fine today but when it gets hotter outside it takes less work to heat up the amplifier to the point of going into protection mode.

The level knob is for gain matching the head unit. You kept the same head unit and amplifier, so if you turned the amp up with the level knob you'll want to turn that back down. You didn't specify how you turned the amp up so I mentioned both the bass knob and the level knob.

As for the loudness of the speakers, check to make sure you don't have the EQ adjusted to very high level. I suspect the Monsoon amplifier is getting a much higher input than with the factory radio. This would explain why you don't have much play on the volume now.

First, you need to be careful when you "turn up my amp". A bass knob is for the bass EQ adjustment. You need to use caution with this because you can overheat the subwoofers, which will reduce their lifespan. Another side effect of too much bass boost is overheating the amplifier. It might be fine today but when it gets hotter outside it takes less work to heat up the amplifier to the point of going into protection mode.
The level knob is for gain matching the head unit. You kept the same head unit and amplifier, so if you turned the amp up with the level knob you'll want to turn that back down. You didn't specify how you turned the amp up so I mentioned both the bass knob and the level knob.

As for the loudness of the speakers, check to make sure you don't have the EQ adjusted to very high level. I suspect the Monsoon amplifier is getting a much higher input than with the factory radio. This would explain why you don't have much play on the volume now.
Well the "LEVEL" (I think it's the gain) on the amp is turned all the way up, I had it turned all the way up before too because there was a knob that you could put in the car to I figured I'd just control it from there. Then there's the subwoofer level on the head unit, it was on 3/6, it's now on 6/6. There's also a "BASS EQ" (bass boost) knob on the amp which is now turned almost half way up. I need my subwoofers to be were they were at about volume levels 20-22 at like 15-16 because of the increased volume, that or the volume of the speakers just needs to be turned down.

Your suspicion about the head unit giving the Monsoon amp a much higher input volume is probably right, I'm not sure if there's a way to control it though.

I was thinking, maybe I can just replace the Monsoon amp so I can have an adjustable gain. I really don't want to re-run power from the battery though so should the 12v that currently feeding the Monsoon amp be enough for a new 4-channel amp? I'd probably lose the center channel but that's really not a concern since I'll be listening to music, not watching movies.

The GMOS-04 adapter doesn't have a speaker level output adjustment. His only adjustment is his volume knob on the Sony.

Well the "LEVEL" (I think it's the gain) on the amp is turned all the way up, I had it turned all the way up before too because there was a knob that you could put in the car to I figured I'd just control it from there. Then there's the subwoofer level on the head unit, it was on 3/6, it's now on 6/6. There's also a "BASS EQ" (bass boost) knob on the amp which is now turned almost half way up. I need my subwoofers to be were they were at about volume levels 20-22 at like 15-16 because of the increased volume, that or the volume of the speakers just needs to be turned down.
Please do yourself a huge favor and follow the level adjustment instructions in the manual for the amp. http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/hifonics/pdfs/HifonicsBrutusBRZ2010AmplifierManual.pdf The bass knob is not a gain knob. The level needs to be set just the same as a gain adjustment on any other amp, meaning you have done it wrong.

I would a) bypass the factory amp and only run HU power to the factory speakers.. or b) see if there is a level adjustment on the axxess adapter that you can turn down (Most LOC's have this too).

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif dont turn your gain all the way up man
Is it harmful? It's too quiet any other way.

Well How much is the range of your amp, how much is the loudness of it?
Gain is 9v to .2v.

i agree you are giving too strong of a signal to the Monsoon amp. you could bypass the Monsoon amp and power the factory speakers directly from the HU. they will be quieter that way.
But will the other speakers sound as good?

or turn level down on the Axxess adapter, if possible.
you have the subs coming off the Sony HU directly? does the Sony have adjustable sub level?
Unfortunately it's not. Yes the sub signal is coming from the sub RCA out on the Sony HU, the sub level is currently set at 6/6 on the Sony.

The GMOS-04 adapter doesn't have a speaker level output adjustment. His only adjustment is his volume knob on the Sony.

Please do yourself a huge favor and follow the level adjustment instructions in the manual for the amp. http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/hifonics/pdfs/HifonicsBrutusBRZ2010AmplifierManual.pdf The bass knob is not a gain knob. The level needs to be set just the same as a gain adjustment on any other amp, meaning you have done it wrong.
I looked at it. I'll need to see what the output level of the Sony HU is but it's still going to be too quiet.

what kind of enclosure are they in as well, if its just a simple sealed box then the 2 R's would very likey have a hard time getting sound to the ear in the much better built lacrosse.
I have two ported boxes, they weight about 25 pounds each and are pretty solid. Yes, the Lacrosse is a better built car but I know the problem is that my other speakers are just too loud.

I would a) bypass the factory amp and only run HU power to the factory speakers.. or b) see if there is a level adjustment on the axxess adapter that you can turn down (Most LOC's have this too).
Looks like that's my only solution. I'd rather just replace the amp though. I don't want to go from having an amp to not having one. Seems like downgrading.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

skatingrocker17

10+ year member
skatingrocker17
Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from