New install advice

Akshay
10+ year member

UK
I need to improve the current system on my car.

The head unit is a built in double DIN with screen for sat nav and rearview camera but the speakers sound poor so I'll be replacing all of them with componants and also adding a subwoofer later. The current unit doesn't have any pre-outs.

So that leads me to assume I need a line out convertor to obtain the front, rear and sub outputs I need for my amps. But I'm unsure how to wire the the line convertor into the stereo and also how to wire up the speakers to the amps.

The line out convertors I've seen look too big to fit behind the stereo so will have to go elsewere in the car. Do I simply splice into the speaker wiring on the back of the stereo and feed that to where it's going to be fitted? I want to keep the OEM wiring intact if possible as the car is under warranty.

For the speaker wiring do I run brand new cables from each speaker to the amps? The amps are going to be installed in the boot. One 4 channel amp and then I'll probably buy a small active sub.

Hope someone can offer some useful advice.

I'm on a budget and so far decided on some Infinity Kappa 6.5 componanet up front.

P.S. it's a 5 door VW fitted with a high spec RNS-510 unit.

welcome...

the LOC will be spliced of your rear speaker... but if you are wanting to run sub stage and front stage amps, i would also recomend runing a processor of some sort in line between your LOC and amps.... otherwise you will end up with a very weak input signal.

running new speaker wire to your front stage really depends on your stock system... although i would advise to replace it no matter what, if your stock system doesnt run external amplifiers, then its not technically a requirement.

Also, please read this thread for all basic Q&A's....

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/532425-new-car-audio-read-first.html

Does your vw have the factory premium sound package? This is what mast240 was getting at about the external amp. IMO, the complexity of this install really depends on how much work you are willing to do and how sensitive your ears are to the various differences it will make. To start off, I would splice the LOC in as close to the source as possible, but yes you just splice it into the +/- speaker wires. Second I agree with the processor idea, you can't get just wonderful signal from stock systems, and I also recommend you use a nice LOC for the mids and highs, like the ISV LOC. And lastly, running new speaker wire somewhat depends on how much power you want to feed the speakers with. Anything over 50 watts, I would say running new wire is recommended

Hi thanks for the info. My current OEM stereo only has it's own internal amp which I believe is 4x15W RMS. I am planning on fitting new components first to see if there is an improvement on sound quality. My ears are sensitive to changes and this VW set-up is not as crisp sounding as the system I built in my last car which was a Kenwood HU hooked up to 2 amps via pre-outs and running 2 sets of components and a 12" sub box.

It does sound like a lot of work to run line out convertors and also a signal processor which I hadn't considered or was informed about before. Speaker cabling is something I'd probably have to upgrade I'm thinking but I'd have to figure out how to get it through the doors and into the car first.

Hi thanks for the info. My current OEM stereo only has it's own internal amp which I believe is 4x15W RMS. I am planning on fitting new components first to see if there is an improvement on sound quality. My ears are sensitive to changes and this VW set-up is not as crisp sounding as the system I built in my last car which was a Kenwood HU hooked up to 2 amps via pre-outs and running 2 sets of components and a 12" sub box.
It does sound like a lot of work to run line out convertors and also a signal processor which I hadn't considered or was informed about before. Speaker cabling is something I'd probably have to upgrade I'm thinking but I'd have to figure out how to get it through the doors and into the car first.
speaker wiring can be run through the doors and into the car with the factory "Wet boot" which is simply that flexible rubber tube running from the car to the door.

on my car it looks like the following:

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

running wires through this isn't exactly an easy task but its what needs to be done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You essentially pop the wet boot off both sides, run your wires, and pop it back in. Again, easier said than done, especially because the e-brake assembly might be in the way on the drivers side depending on where it is.

Thanks. Would something like this work for me?
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/712451/OEM-Integration/LCQ--1----Six-Channel-Line-Output-Converter-with-Equalization-and-AccuBASS.html

I assume this device is fed the speaker level outputs from the OEM stereo and then outputs via RCA to the amp or amps?
Yes, you splice in the speaker level inputs from speakers (pref from the rear so you feed signals to your amps, if you store them in the trunk). Audiocontrol is a pretty awesome product for adding aftermarket sound to your stock system. You might want to talk to them about what you want to do and what they recommend. The dude I spoke with was very helpful and gave some good recommendations. Good luck!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.