new comps installed

I wish these were a bit shallower, I'd love to try them out. They sound like exactly what I'm looking for soundwise. My doors can only take 2.8" and these are a bit over 3" from what I've read.
they come with a plastic spacer:naughty:

also is cool,not that its relivant is they use binding posts

instead of metal tabs for your wire mounting pleasure.

518721_385_full.jpg

518721_382_full.jpg

they come with a plastic spacer:naughty:
The problem is if I use more than a 3/4" spacer, the surround will hit the door panel (which is already spaced out using longer pins). I need someone to glass me some deeper door panels. That's nice about the binding posts, though. Looks like a very well built speaker for the cost.

I'm now deciding between these and the Orion P6.2's. My previous truck had PG Xenon 6.5's and I was actually impressed with them for the price. These speakers seem to be the hidden treasures. The price scares people away thinking they are too cheap but they are quite good.

Now if only I could find the same in AMP's then you could have a real nice sounding budget system.

I'm now deciding between these and the Orion P6.2's.
I too am between these, Orion P6.2's, and yesterday I heard some JL XR's that surprised me (for as much as they get flamed on the boards, I was impressed with

them, and can get them for a really good deal.) So now I have a much tougher decision.........I've heard the Orion's and the JL's, but not the Crystals.

The JL XR was their top of the line set just a couple years ago... it's a good buy for the money.

I chatted with the Crystal owner a few months back about the scss component systems... while the mid is top notch and can hang with the best, I don't like the design philosophy... the crossover point is high, and I can't see a surround on that tweeter.

I think you will find the depth on the 6.5 set to be 3.25". It appears to be made in the same Asian factory as the DEI/directed stuff... the basket and magnet are the same as the old DEI Viper.

I think the Orion is the best overall out of the three sets/price range... low crossover point, same tweet as on the top of the line DEI/PPI/Viper sets that retailed for as much as $500.00 ... professionally designed by Patrick Turnmire of Redrock Acoustics. The only reason they are so cheap is because they are priced fairly, about half the price of competing speakers... they compete with speakers in the $600 - $700 suggested list range.

Just thought I would add this. This is a review from the guy that I bought my crystals from. He of course is selling these but I feel like based on his advice I've seen on this other forum for the last year to two years that he is pretty honest, but take it with a grain of salt. I just don't want this thread to die as I think these comps are the best you can get in this price range by a LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGG shot....

"...the best test I did was off an autotek mx1300 (350 rms x 2). NO eq tweeking at all, running everything flat. after about 30 min +, they start sounding better. Tweets let you know they are there, but don't run you out like mb quart tweets. They are a little brighter and stronger than the dyn tweets. Saxaphones, etc, come through nice and smooth. The acoustic guitars strum is very detailed. Vocals are great and alive sounding. Mid bass is fast and tight from the light cone. It has deeper mid bass, but it isn't hugely strong. With some music like zap and roger, I had the xover down to about 50hz and gain up to about 2/3- 3/4. It was un-fawking-real how loud and good they performed.

Of course install and clean power avail will determine how much mid bass they have, how loud they go, how detailed everything is. Sound deadener, deflex pads, no rear wave leaks, etc..

From the Crystal owner- "i don't care about the overly strong mid bass and tweeter peaks that most rap oriented people like. i design my speakers to sound awesome for the money and for the rockers"

The owner of Crystal, used to work for Aura and was one of the lead developers of the NRT motor structure."

From the Crystal owner- "i don't care about the overly strong mid bass and tweeter peaks that most rap oriented people like. i design my speakers to sound awesome for the money and for the rockers"

The owner of Crystal, used to work for Aura and was one of the lead developers of the NRT motor structure."
Which is why I love them,they remind me of my Aura's a little but better,The mid is tighter and hits a little harder

the tweet is more detailed but just as smooth,but for obvious reasons as these were made in 2006 abd the aura's are several years old in design , I do not think many speaker mfgs design around a certain music genre but IMO designing a speaker for anything other than Rock is a waste of time,WTF u gonna do,design a speaker around some silly **** like rap

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I chatted with the Crystal owner a few months back about the scss component systems... while the mid is top notch and can hang with the best, I don't like the design philosophy... the crossover point is high, and I can't see a surround on that tweeter.
What didnt you like about thier philosophy?

Whats so important about seeing the tweet surround,enlighten me?

As far as I am concerend these comps that sound like 400.00 comps,you can critique them,flame them and or tell us what you dont like about them but the bottom like is this

A) the kick fvcking ass and you youll have a hard time beating them at 300-400 bucks let alont 175 which is what they sell for (average)

OR

B) The rest of the car audio speaker makers/sellers are ripping everyone off

by selling the comps for 300-400 when they should be 175. a set

I can almost guess that 250-300 comps like my old Diamond HEXs which retail for stupid money and sell for 325 on Egay are made in China and prolly cost 35-50 bucks a set to MFG,they have average SQ

just as my 6500s did , just like my Kappa perfects did AVERAGE !

The way I see it is there is only so much technology that can go into mid range speakers. Its just sad that people pay for a name instead. Infinity, Mb Quart, JL, Alpine, etc are all big name speaker mfg. and so they can rip people off with their speakers that are probably the same design and construction as the cheaper Phoenix Gold Xenon speakers, or Orion P series or the Crystals etc. etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.