New car, new to the world of audio... HELP ME OUT... PLEASE?

I don't see many 16 yr olds on the web who can type, spell, and format an intelligent question as you have. It's refreshing to an old geezer like me to know there are kids who pay attention in school.
THIS ^ Thank satan.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/skar-audio/531993-%2A2%2A-skar-vvx-12s-custom-ported-box-%2A%2Aspecial%2A%2A-%24389-99-shipped.html
best deal on the net, you get a custom box built to exactly what you want and its not some crappy pre-fab box. really nice subs that get extremely low.
^ definitely. That'd be my suggestion if you want a great deal on some solid subs, and want to save a fortune on the enclosure and shipping.

Also, I'm thinking you don't really mean the true meaning of SQ. True SQ takes thousands of dollars to achieve, and thousands of hours of tuning. I think what you're really looking for is clean and clear sound, that doesn't distort. If that is the case, these subs will work perfect. The Sundowns will be fine too. Most choices will work fine. All of the suggestions in this thread have all been really good actually.

I just remember when I was planning my first non flea-market setup, I thought I was looking for SQ. And then I saw some real SQ set-ups, and what really goes into them. Fabricating custom speaker pods, buying fancy processors and other high-end equipment. Unless you're a trust-fund baby, you're not gonna be able to afford a real SQ set-up at 16 :p But clean, clear, and loud is much more easily achievable.

Also, I'm thinking you don't really mean the true meaning of SQ. True SQ takes thousands of dollars to achieve, and thousands of hours of tuning. I think what you're really looking for is clean and clear sound, that doesn't distort. If that is the case, these subs will work perfect. The Sundowns will be fine too. Most choices will work fine. All of the suggestions in this thread have all been really good actually.I just remember when I was planning my first non flea-market setup, I thought I was looking for SQ. And then I saw some real SQ set-ups, and what really goes into them. Fabricating custom speaker pods, buying fancy processors and other high-end equipment. Unless you're a trust-fund baby, you're not gonna be able to afford a real SQ set-up at 16 :p But clean, clear, and loud is much more easily achievable.
The same could be said about SPL though. Just like SPL, SQ can be had in different degrees. Processing, time alignment, etc., is more about perfecting your SQ, just like how going from 1/0 with three 80Ah batteries to 2/0 with four 100Ah batteries is about getting your voltage to stay at 14.4 instead of dropping to 13.9.

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars and hours to get an SQ(SPL) setup. You will probably have to spend thousands of dollars and hours to win SQ(SPL) competitions.

This forum rocks, you guys are a huge help. I think I'm pretty sold on the SA's, they have fantastic reviews. The Skar is a very good deal but I haven't heard as many mentions as I have on the SA's. To all, I am a trust fund baby but I work to afford the things I buy, saving the funds for a higher education. Where can I purchase a nice enclosure? What siZe box and tuning do you guys suggest? And also, where is a good place to get things hooked up in northwest Florida? Love you all

No real performance difference. They just yield different options for wiring to the amp. Two D4 subs will allow you to wire at 1 ohm. There are many options of amps that will power those subs at 1 ohm that won't break the bank. Amps will put out more power at lower impendances so you'd spend more to get the same power at lets say 2 ohms, which would be an option if you went with D2 subs. Other option for D2 is .5 ohms, but not as many amps can run at that load safely and it is certainly not recommended for a beginner to try it.

What is the difference between d2 and d4? Which is better? I've heard that d4 are better?
To save you from trying to understand T/S parameters, the only thing that matters about their differences is how to wire them.

Dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofers can be wired to 2 or 8 ohms, and two of them can be wired to 4 or 1. Dual 2 ohm can be wired to 4 or 1 ohm, and two of them can be wired to 2 or .5 ohm.

The box size and tuning will be dependent on whether you want low extension with a fairly "flat" response(maybe the SA isn't really for you if you want good extension into the low 20s or high teens), or if you want to be loud from 30-50Hz, etc., and the tuning specifically will depend on your vehicle.

This forum rocks, you guys are a huge help. I think I'm pretty sold on the SA's, they have fantastic reviews. The Skar is a very good deal but I haven't heard as many mentions as I have on the SA's. To all, I am a trust fund baby but I work to afford the things I buy, saving the funds for a higher education. Where can I purchase a nice enclosure? What siZe box and tuning do you guys suggest? And also, where is a good place to get things hooked up in northwest Florida? Love you all
you should check out florida SPL forum there are a lot of guys there from your neck of the wood, if you want to hear Skar, or get hooked up with good sub box builders and installer. Skar is not that well known yet that's why there is a special on them but the designer of Sundown SA is the same person who designed Skar, and if you search Sundown + Skar you will see that there is very little difference, but Skar will go lower bass than SA.

the dual 4ohm and dual 2ohm will depend on what amp you are getting.

If you decide to go on an amp that is stable on 1 ohm go for the dual 4ohm

If the amp is stable on 2ohm then go with the dual 2 ohm

if you do this you will maximize the power output of the amp you are buying

I'd still go with the Skars. The owner of Sundown played a role in the designing of the Skar subs as well. They're pretty tight knit companies. And it would save you the hassle of getting a box designed and built. You certainly won't be disappointed with the SA's, I just think the Skars are a better value.

And you don't need to go anywhere to get things hooked up. Read around here and learn how to do it. There is a HUGE car audio scene in Florida, and a lot of member on here live around there. Post in the Florida area and see who can help you out. They probably can build your box for you as well.

And you'll like want Dual 4 ohm woofers, just for the ease of wiring and finding an amp that does the power at 1 ohm. Basically it's personal preference. It's just easier to find an amp that does 1500w at 1 ohm than it is to find it at 2 ohms.

and you'll find out if your trying to go high wattage on 2 ohm it gets pretty expensive, its easier to go higher on wattage on 1 ohm and cheaper

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

halel86

10+ year member
halel86
Panama City Beach
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from