New car, new to the world of audio... HELP ME OUT... PLEASE?

halel86
10+ year member

Hey there,

Just recently purchased(3 days ago) a 2002 Lincoln LS. I have installed new 6x8 Pioneer speakers throughout the car and plan to purchase subwoofers. Being 16, I have a budget, so please keep that in mind. I believe I am looking for 2 12" subwoofers and I lean more towards SQ than SPL(a happy medium would be fantastic). I have my eye on the Sundown Audio SA-12's but it could change. I am asking for all of you battle-tested audiophiles to help me pick out subs, an amp and an enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif. Thank you in advance!

P.S. This is my first post so don't be too rough on the new guy! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/escape.gif.52b661afb17bde1db0e0c7da97e75b38.gif

What amp should I run these with? and do I need to change my factory head unit?

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

For the amp and box I would like to come out under $500. And for subs, I'd like to be somewhere around $400

A head unit will make installation easier and you'll be able to utilize more features with tuning the sound of your system, also you get iPod connectivity usually

P.S. This is my first post so don't be too rough on the new guy!
I don't see many 16 yr olds on the web who can type, spell, and format an intelligent question as you have. It's refreshing to an old geezer like me to know there are kids who pay attention in school.

I would say 2 tc epic 12's would be nice. Also you will want to switch out the factory headunit, unless it provides so sort of features to your car.

Someone has to take the responsibility of leading this generation out of the toilet, I guess I'll be heading it up. Thanks for the compliments //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bigwave.gif.16324171cad2db62cf4f16568b038478.gif

I don't see many 16 yr olds on the web who can type, spell, and format an intelligent question as you have. It's refreshing to an old geezer like me to know there are kids who pay attention in school.
really bro??? I is 17 and I can be spellin hella good.

The factory head unit has 1 thing going for it... 6 CD changer. The factory Alpine system really wasn't bad, but after 10 years of pounding, the speakers were starting to fall apart(rear deck was clapping and front door speakers were getting very sharp sounding). Depending on the next few paychecks I get, I plan to upgrade the head unit. What would you all suggest for a head unit? Double din? Single din? All I require is that it is easy to use, has a nice look and has a place to plug in my iPhone.

I hear good things from Sundown Audio. If you do end up getting the SA-12's then I would recommend the Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D for a decent cheap amplifier. I have an MB Quart Q1.1500D(Owned by same company as Hifonics) and it's served me great. There's also the Rockford Fosgate R1200-1D that you might like as well. Both of the amps that I recommended are 1200 Watts RMS @ 1 ohm. Also I assume that you're going to get the 2 ohm version of the SA-12's.

I'm voting for two 12" Dayton HOs if you truly care about SQ. They'd be fine on 1200W, and could take quite a bit more(of course, so could the SAs, but they won't sound as good doing it).

As far as power, the MB Quart ONX1500 would be fine and less than $200, leaving you quite a bit for a box.

The best thing about the setup I'm suggesting is that it's way under your budget, and you'd likely be very happy with the SQ of the Daytons.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.