New Build

AudioHobbieat

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, thanks for taking your time to read my post. I need a little help. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT. I have a system inside of it already, a 12 inch Alpine S, Club A5055 amp, High end Pioneer Headunit, and Infinity Kappa high end speakers. I want to take this build to the next level. I want to put 3 Alpine Type R’s 12’s into my trunk, fiberglass,Glass,LEDs, and small screens. Are there shops/websites that do this type of custom work? I am a mechanical engineering student and am doing graphical design too so I have a pretty good idea of what I want this to look like and I have friends that have wired car audio since years. I was wonderin, if I have to build it myself or if you guys recommend building it myself. Is it hard to build a box or is there a special way? Here are some pics online (I don’t know the original posters I apologize) that I want it to look similar too. I was also wondering if I could build into the floor of my truck, like put my amps on mounts down there, seal it with glass and put leds all around. Are there any websites that sell everything I need such as leds mini tvs or Medium Density Fiberboard. And if you guys have any tips/suggestions on what it should look like. I had an old account on this website, but lost access to it. I was also wondering what would be the best amps for power and their looks and the info on what the best amps,subs, speakers or brands you guys recommend
Thank you guys so much!
Mack :)

IMG_1333.jpeg

Build Photo
  1. Not right now
Last edited:
I don’t know who owns these images, if you guys would like me to take them down I will do so right away

Attachments

• IMG_1366.png
    IMG_1366.png
    515.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1336.png
    IMG_1336.png
    632.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 23
Those are some EXPENSIVE (expert) custom installs. It's a matter of skill, experience, and MONEY! Truly integrated installs like that often cost more than the vehicles themselves. @CarAudioFabrication, @WillistonAudioLabs, @Audioholics, @cheapaudioman, and @crutchfield as well as virtually every manufacturer out there are on YouTube with some really great info-vid's. That said, you could spend half your life watching and it won't get you a month's worth of shop training. Your question on equipment is WAY too general and you'll get a thousand people's opinions on that question alone. If you have the means, go to a couple of big car audio shows or one big one for a week straight, go listen and get an idea of what your taste in sound actually is. People tend to think they are going to like this and that but often don't really have a good understanding of what that actually is. Before dropping a shizload of $$, need to find out specifically what the sound profile you like, looks (sounds) like, before setting a goal for a substantial build. That JL setup alone could be $10-$20000 dollars when you consider all the talent and highly skilled people and man hours let alone the equipment cost. You have to understand what your "sound" objective is before you can make a "sound" decision, regardless of who what why, or where that information comes from.

Last edited:
Those are some EXPENSIVE (expert) custom installs. It's a matter of skill, experience, and MONEY! Truly integrated installs like that often cost more than the vehicles themselves. @CarAudioFabrication, @WillistonAudioLabs, @Audioholics, @cheapaudioman, and @crutchfield as well as virtually every manufacturer out there are on YouTube with some really great info-vid's. That said, you could spend half your life watching and it won't get you a month's worth of shop training. Your question on equipment is WAY too general and you'll get a thousand people's opinions on that question alone. If you have the means, go to a couple of big car audio shows or one big one for a week straight, go listen and get an idea of what your taste in sound actually is. People tend to think they are going to like this and that but often don't really have a good understanding of what that actually is. Before dropping a shizload of $$, need to find out specifically what the sound profile you like, looks (sounds) like, before setting a goal for a substantial build. That JL setup alone could be $10-$20000 dollars when you consider all the talent and highly skilled people and man hours let alone the equipment cost. You have to understand what your "sound" objective is before you can make a "sound" decision, regardless of who what why, or where that information comes from.
You’re right, I am going to study what the best type of subs are. My relatives all own stereo shops and I am going to try to get the most input I can and go to audio shows to see what’s the best. I like my alpine s, but its base isn’t very deep and dosent hit hard whatsoever and sounds like it claps even when it’s tuned correctly. I’m pretty decent in handiwork, so I was thinking of while I’m building it to post here for you guys input and help. My dad and uncles all had cars modified to the extreme with audio, but they got it all for free since they owned MA Audio, Swiss Audio, and were sponsored by others. Do you guys have any preferences to what brands or websites are the best to buy off of? I heard Crutchfield is pretty good, or just any website that sells really good aftermarket accessories like this?
Thank you guys so much

Sounds like you have a "family" of resources available to you. I generally use Amazon or eBay resellers, and manufacturer sites, there are some really reputable eBay dealers like @bigjeffaudio, @sonicelctronics, @skyhighcaraudiocable, @stereo-needs (love these guys), just to name a few (Just google it). Crutchfield is great and though not always the cheapest, I try and buy from them as they support the car audio community in a big way. As for brands, everyone has an opinion and you know what they say about opinions, they're like a$$holes, everyone has one!

Sounds like you have a "family" of resources available to you. I generally use Amazon or eBay resellers, and manufacturer sites, there are some really reputable eBay dealers like @bigjeffaudio, @sonicelctronics, @skyhighcaraudiocable, @stereo-needs (love these guys), just to name a few (Just google it). Crutchfield is great and though not always the cheapest, I try and buy from them as they support the car audio community in a big way. As for brands, everyone has an opinion and you know what they say about opinions, they're like a$$holes, everyone has one!
Alright sweet I’m checking them out right now. Do you guys know of a possibility to build into the floor of the truck? I want to remove the floor of the trunk, build it in wood/vinyl and put the amps on floating mounts with leds enclosed by glass to show off the amps. Do you guys know if this is possible or will it mess with the structural integrity of the car? The trunk does not have a “flip up” storage unit such as other cars like the forester

If I read you correctly, you're saying remove as in the metal? Uh, no - that gas tank has to mount to something - and yes, it messes up the integrity of the car's rear end!

Just do your build over the existing floor using wood and whatever. I always do it with hatchback builds, like this Ford Focus, Remove the flooring, the carpet, etc. then fabricate a new facade for the interior rear (like you could for a trunk), including the space that once housed the spare, or not, like this. I use powerful cement glue, like liquid nails (silicone glue works well too) to secure the wood.

1696798775468.png

Oooh ok I see. I was wanting to remove just the floorboard and leave the metal, but it feels to me under the carpet is straight metal so I don’t want to cut it resulting in it messing with the cars structural integrity. You’re right I should build it just on top. I want to remove the third row of seating since nobody likes go sit back there since it’s tight, and it means more space for a larger build and more equipment lol. What do you guys recommend building it with? I heard for sub box’s, MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is the best material. And for the actual build, (floors walls etc, what do you guys think is the nicest material to use?
Thank you!

it depends on what you want to spend. I often drive around and find huge pieces of floorboard material (chipboard) and ply at build sites for free. 13-ply birch plywood is great if you're made of money as it is both anti-resonant and lightweight - and $80 to $100 a sheet EXPENSIVE! Generally, I use MDF. Easy to work with, smooth service that bonds with glue well and it's fairly inexpensive and dense.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...