New Build Need Advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

djtech2k-temp

Unfortunately, since my old account is locked out and I cannot get tech support, I have to post with this new temp account.

So I built most of my sons system in his F150 last year, with some advice from these forums. Well he totaled that vehicle, so now I am trying to help him build a new one in his 2013 Passat. We do have some parts from the last build that would be great if we can use them. Its not a deal breaker, but will help budget for sure. Here is what we have from the last build:

- Kenwood Excelon Head Unit (single DIN)

- (2) Sundown SD-2 8" DVC Woofers 4-Ohm (Still in Small Vinyl wrapped boxes)

- (2) SoundQubed amps (1200.2 & 90.4)

There may be a set of tweeters left from his component set, but not 100% sure. I believe they are polk.

Anyway, he wants to get his new car done so I am looking for advice for equipment and design for this car. For budget, we don't have an exact number, but I I think it will be in the ballpark of $1000'ish.

Highs: I know we need a component set for up front. The rear doors have factory speakers and we may end up doing those too, depending on budget.

Amps: Seems like the SQ amps should be fine, even though the shop guys seem to snark about SQ and Sundown.

Subs: My son thinks the Sundown 8's will not be enough in this car so he wants to upgrade. I think he has his heart set on (2) 12's, but I suggest him to use caution. I told him he could consider buying 2 more SD-2 8's and go with (4) 8's, but then the problem is that the 8's will only be able to get to 4-ohm and lose too much power with that amp. The shop wants us to buy 2 Kicker 12's, which are like $300 per woofer, or a cheaper 12 for $150 per woofer. The preloaded box is $450, with the cheaper woofers.

Head-Unit: I think we will go with the Kenwood we have now to save money, but I think he wants a nice Double-DIN at some point. We do want to be able to use the steering wheel controls, so hopefully there is an adapter for that.

Box: The SD-2 8's he has now are in 2 tiny custom boxes we built for his truck. They are vinyl wrapped separate boxes, that can be attached by the old amp rack. Not sure what to do here, but obviously need to coordinate with what we do for woofers. The shop says to either buy Kicker made box or its $250-300 for them to build one.

Install: They are quoting about $250-300 for the install and another $250 or so for parts (eg cables).

Any advice is appreciated.

I say Use what you have and add too. Most SHOPS will call them,try to push on the buyer what they have sitting to make a sale.Im running @2ohm in my 98 CRV with a Stock Alt (90 amp) with two AGMs and slamming just fine with a pair of tens.You can do alot yourself and save money and patience is the key and a fair budget makes it all possible as well.Deff going to need some supply upgrades, but that can be an expensive portion of the budget.You want to keep supply for the demand.Saves your devices..lol. But also building another box with an enclosure speced diagram can be had for cheap and build yourselves. Easy enough.Utilize what you have.You have decent gear..use it and add too if wanting more/need

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.