1970 GTO radio and speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

mage0095

Hey im trying to figure out what speakers will work with my radio in my 70 GTO. Im pretty naive when it comes to car audio so il need some help.

Currently im running a Retrosound radio which says 18w RMS and 40W peak 4 channel. The speakers i have are 350w max and 50w RMS.

When i turn the volume up on the radio and my iphone the speakers start to distort and sound staticky. so i assumed it may be lack of power so i had a 400w amp put in and it still does it at high volume.

Ive also tried this set up with the amp with a pair of 650w speakers 125rms and it did the same thing but at all volumes.

What am i missing/doing wrong to get this things to work? Also im running 18ga speaker wire to the speakers/amp, my thought was since the wires that came with the speakers were that small its all it would need.

Links to the parts i have.

radio

RetroSound LAGUNA-C: Laguna Radio with Chrome Face and Buttons AM/FM Radio w/InfiniMount brackets | JEGS

Speakers

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_76908_Cerwin-Vega-XED693.html?show_tab=1

amp

Pyle PLMRA400 400W 4-Channel Marine Amplifier at Onlinecarstereo.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.