New build is having an issue and I can't seem to troubleshoot it

I think my problem starts here. My last system was so weak that i assumed since it was using 0 ga that i was good to just upgrade but i think that isn't the case. The 0ga power was just attached to the small stud with a ring terminal. And no added 0ga ran from neg to chassis.

Attachments

• 20211019_210446.jpg
    20211019_210446.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 69
You can get bigger battery terminals that have more bolt-on places for wires.

Seriously man, look up your radio and figure out what the RCA output voltage is on it.
So I got the h/u out and looked up the model number and it says it is preamp outlet of 2V. This is my issue huh.. Should I be looking into a line driver or what are my options here?

Hey guys,
I just hooked up my new stuff and everything seems to turn on and stay on fine. But the problem is it is just not very loud. Like somewhere something is not getting enough power. Any music seems like its a 100 watt system and not 1200.

If I were to guess it is probably my janky speaker terminals or the ground isnt good enough. I tried a different ground and that didn't help.

Build is Skar 1200.1 wired to 1 ohm
12" DC Level 3

Here are some general pictures that may help someone find where my issue lies:
You’re spot on with janky terminals and poor ground. Go get a speaker cup/terminal and do a little sanding to make better ground contact. Make sure your box and speakers are sealed really well and turn the gain on your amp up A LITTLE. Don’t crank it or you’ll start blowing stuff up. 1/4 to 1/2 should be sufficient.

I would say it is about 70% right now.

Your gain is that high because of the radio RCA voltage. Your amp might not be making full power because of the RCA voltage. I've had that happen before where I maxed the gain out on the amp and it still wasn't close to full output.

You've always gotta have a good radio if you're listening to music :)

Your gain is that high because of the radio RCA voltage. Your amp might not be making full power because of the RCA voltage. I've had that happen before where I maxed the gain out on the amp and it still wasn't close to full output.

You've always gotta have a good radio if you're listening to music :)
Yeah I'm looking into a line driver or something similar. And i mean, it is a double din touchscreen pioneer which is pretty good but it is pretty old. Maybe I'll upgrade that, not sure yet.

I would definitely check that everything else is hooked up properly before buying anything.
So I havent done any of the big 3 or other upgrades but I followed a video on how to set gains with the DMM and with following that perfectly, setting vol to 3/4, all eq and settings flat and off and dmm leads in speaker outputs on amp. With a 40 hz tone and the gain all the way up it only got to 12 volts. I need 31ish. I think the line booster is a must. As well as the other things.

So I did another try with my gains and the DMM and found that with help from the bass boost settings in my h/u eq I can get to 31 volts with only about 20% gain. I also made sure I was getting the full 2V out of the h/u and I am. Something about it still just doesnt sound right at all. The sub moves more but not by much. I am starting to really regret ever wanting to upgrade. :(

So I did another try with my gains and the DMM and found that with help from the bass boost settings in my h/u eq I can get to 31 volts with only about 20% gain. I also made sure I was getting the full 2V out of the h/u and I am. Something about it still just doesnt sound right at all. The sub moves more but not by much. I am starting to really regret ever wanting to upgrade. :(

I wouldn't give up on it. Sound is difficult. You have a decent little system there. I wouldn't run the bass boost too high on the radio, and I'm not sure if I have a valid explanation. I've just always had issues that way, may cause distortion.

Have you checked to see if your sub is wired at 1 ohm?

And like I say too, the boxes in trucks like that can be difficult to get right or to get the best sound out of a single 12 like that. I mean that as a fairly long time box designer. Pickup trucks are basically the hardest every day vehicle to design enclosures for. The space is more awkward, usually, and the cabin is big and a lot are wider than they are deep/long.

I'm not sure if I missed it, but what's the voltage at your amp when you're trying to play the sub? Knowing that would possibly immensely help you figure this out. If you're on a stock electrical system, you'll know if the amp is pulling current by the voltage on the power wires going into the amp. You should drop voltage somewhat, especially if the vehicle is just idling.

I'd also check your fuse under the hood, and make sure that hasn't come loose. I've had a lot of those come loose before, just where the fuse is screwed/bolted on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...