new build in my escape

Participant count
  • Participant list

ktraughb
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
i started off by taking my old amp rack that housed the batteries underneath. the batteries were facing forward, amps were on top. this was okay, but wasnt a lot of depth for a box afterward and i feel like it restricted my boxes.

heres the new amp rack in the works and finished pictures

i should have taken more pics during the process but i got going and forgot.

more of amp rack as it was finished and wired. still need to install a second anl fuse holder. only had one at the shop of this style.

another thing about these amps. one was just purchased in december, and it arrived to me broken on the speaker leads. a seller from caco refused to do proper business and didnt insure the package, and wouldnt help me with repair costs so i ended up repairing myself. lol. this was a first time amp repair, and i literally ended up soldering ten awg wire directly to the board since the leads were broken entirely. it works perfect, even at .5 ohm all day.

moved the mids amp to under the passenger seat. needed the space back there in the back.

heres where i started gutting the front for a small screen install under my dash. some of the wiring already run down to the location.

the center console piece i removed to make into a screen housing.

all bondo'd up, ready to cut. this was a strange process to get this thing to fit.

the sub that will be going in now. used to be two of the series below this in the vehicle, now doing 1 15 of this series. a local company called Crank Doctor Audio. this sub is a beast. three spiders, 8 layer flat wound on aluminum former. about 78 pounds.

the enclosure for this will probably be started tomorrow. cant decide if i want to do a traditional crx style ported box, or try a fourth order.

the enclosure will be aimed mostly at spl, not terribly concerned for sound quality. if its listenable on a daily basis, ill be satisfied. ill probably tune to about 40 Hz.

drawing out for the enclosure, 3.75 cubes after displacement. tuned to 44 Hz.

mocking up after cut. using 45s in the corners, and they are intentionally different sizes.

mounted together, ready to cut

routered the port, only have a 1/2 inch round over, but its good enough.

hole cut, not bad for a jigsaw. afraid to use the perfect circle router jig on 1.5 inch thickness, dont want to tear it up.

getting the sub ready to mount for a test run. using high density foam to seal it, even though it has a rubber gasket. you can see the 8 awg cable for the inside of the box. maybe overkill, but i like it.

wire coming out the back of the box, using a dual plate distribution block. these are super handy for multi-coil, or multi woofer setups, especially when strapping amps.

sub in place, and ready to go. got it into the vehicle and it is certainly loud to the ear, but i found a major air leak. glad i havent tried to cover the box with anything yet after finding that. no biggie, ill pull it out tomorrow, get it sealed, try again. if this box does what i want it to on the meter (should have some results in about a week) ill do some competing with it. if not, ill build a new box. ive got some ideas.

ive got an excursion vid and some other photos in the vehicle, but i can post those later. im more concerned to fix the air leak in the morning.

fixed the air leak last week and it actually dropped in pressure, at least to the ear. frustrating. going to put it on the termlab tomorrow and see what it will do, if it doesnt perform ill tear and rebuild. likely to a fourth order as per instructions by 80 inches. his design looks like it will peak right where i want it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.