Need very sensitive (efficient) 6.5" comp set

FJF
10+ year member

No Team
NYS
Hi, folks. I haven't been around for a while and could use a couple of pointers. The system in my sig is out of the car. After living with it for 2 years, I decided the weight wasn't worth it. The car is an Evo IX. It's so loud when it's on the move that it effectively masks any attempt at decent sound quality. Right now I'm running an Alpine 102, a Zapco Ref200, and the stock speakers up front (very sensitive and kind of fun to listen to). I need a set of 6.5" comps that will play loud as hell with this amp to overcome the noise of the car, itself. There's no sub and no desire for extension below ~80Hz. The car produces so much low-frequency energy on its own that it cancels out most everything below that point.

So, you see my problem. I'm looking at lower end DLS and Rainbow, as well as Boston's S-series that was supposedly designed to be driven by deck power. I'm open to other suggestions, as well.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't want to run an active system again. Simplicity and sensitivity are key.

You can still use a pro audio driver and look around for a tweeter set that you like and either call up madisound and have some made or find one of the several brands of passive unit sold @ woofersetc that are set up around what the tweeters need. This is pretty easy as long as you know what you want out of your tweets harsh, accurate, loud etc.

Mike

budget? Here's something for around $100 that will get loud. If you have a bigger budget you can step up to some nice B&C mids or something like that.

crossovers: Dayton XO2W-3.5K 2-Way Crossover 3,500 Hz | Parts-Express.com

mids: Dayton PA165-8 6" PA Driver | Parts-Express.com

tweets: https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=8799

I've been using the previous version of those tweeters for nearly 3 years and I have to attenuate them 3-4db to have them mesh well with my ID OEM's.

Does anyone have experience with the comp sets I mentioned? Any other camp sets you can recommend that play loud with little power?

I have a pair of the rainbow slc's in my shitbox ( convertable tracker) powered by an older sony es amp that's 50w a channel. They seem pretty efficient as they have no trouble overcoming road and wind noise. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Of course ultimate efficiency would be to throw some horns under the dash //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

JBL and Hertz both makes some very efficient speaker sets - up around 94dB sensitivity.
JBL
That link is an interesting example - 94dB @ 2.83V into a 2 Ohm load. This means that the speakers are 91dB relative to a 4 Ohm load, and 88dB at 1w @ 1m. Compare Rainbow's spec, for example, at 90dB @ 1m. This isn't to say that sensitivity specs are always accurate, which is why I'm asking folks for personal experiences.

Of course ultimate efficiency would be to throw some horns under the dash //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
In a different car, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the concept.

I remember years ago, a buddy threw a pair of Jensen 6x9s into the rear deck of his ancient Corolla powered by a 25wpc Jensen amp. The system was so loud it was hard to turn it up further. I don't mean that it was SPL-loud, but definitely music listening loud. The midbass was pretty decent, too. That's kind of what I'm looking for here.

That link is an interesting example - 94dB @ 2.83V into a 2 Ohm load. This means that the speakers are 91dB relative to a 4 Ohm load, and 88dB at 1w @ 1m. Compare Rainbow's spec, for example, at 90dB @ 1m. This isn't to say that sensitivity specs are always accurate, which is why I'm asking folks for personal experiences.
And the 3db rule is not always accurate either.

Hi, folks. I haven't been around for a while and could use a couple of pointers. The system in my sig is out of the car. After living with it for 2 years, I decided the weight wasn't worth it. The car is an Evo IX. It's so loud when it's on the move that it effectively masks any attempt at decent sound quality. Right now I'm running an Alpine 102, a Zapco Ref200, and the stock speakers up front (very sensitive and kind of fun to listen to). I need a set of 6.5" comps that will play loud as hell with this amp to overcome the noise of the car, itself. There's no sub and no desire for extension below ~80Hz. The car produces so much low-frequency energy on its own that it cancels out most everything below that point.
So, you see my problem. I'm looking at lower end DLS and Rainbow, as well as Boston's S-series that was supposedly designed to be driven by deck power. I'm open to other suggestions, as well.

im my caddy i run pioneer prs720 comps and they are rated low however they sounded awesome just off of my pioneer head unit....even when i amped the noticed only a little difference as i think they are rated from 30-50 watts...but man they sounded phenomenal either way.......

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.