making custom comps off partsexpress...

Rick_Roll
10+ year member

bout to get my roll on
any1 else think of doing this? i know some of you guys have already done it and id love some info/help on making this happen...i dont watnt o run active so ill need a good crossover...now where do i start? besides a tweet and 6.5....

I just put together a very budget set of components for my focus- Total 65 bucks.

Peerless SDS mids- 10 bucks a pop

Dayton 3/4 inch silk domes- 7 bucks each

Robot underground x-overs from ebay

Initial tests are looking promising off of 100rms/side

Don't do the Seleniums, I figured at $20 each I could gamble, I lost!

I don't like them one bit, for $29 each you can get some Silver Flutes off of Madisound.com That was the best $60 I have spent.

There's a metric ass ton of things to look at when designing a crossover for speakers. It's not all just caps n' coils.

start by defining the speaker environment. where will the midrange go? off axis? free air? use the enclosure and aiming to help choose a speaker that can perform well in that environment. some speakers need sealed airspace, some need to be on-axis... etc.

same with tweeters - aiming?

next, build your own crossovers that incorporate the aspects of the speaker installation. speaker aiming is huge for determining crossover points, as is actual location and distance from each other. the crossovers also need to take each driver's response into consideration.

use software to experiment with speaker pairs and crossover designs before you buy, so you only buy once. don't use random crossovers with these drivers, you won't get shiet for performance with improper crossover points and slopes.

when you buy a component set, the design and testing is done for you. hundreds of hours of testing, computer modeling, etc. that a DIY set doesn't have.

DIY comp sets with drivers from Parts Express or Madisound can be nice - provided you take the above into consideration and place drivers in the enclosure they require with crossovers that suit their electrical, mechanical, and sonic characteristics.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.