Need to get the bass out of a Trunk and into the Cab

Participant count
  • Participant list

jkok7
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey everybody.

My buddy has a delima. He has a 2004 Chevy Impala and his backseat doesn't let down. All of his bass in trapped in his trunk.

His current setup is: He has the subs faced backwards about 8-10 inches from the back of the trunk and that's where it sounds the loudest.

I know we can get more sound out of his setup. Since his backseat doesn't let down like my Chevy Malibu LS, I was thinking sealing the back of his back seat off from his trunk. He has some free area in his back deck between the two 6X9s. So I was gonna insert about a 10 inch port hole there.

Then I would turn his subs around to where they face the cab and have it about a foot away from his sealed backseat. Then seal the outside of his enclosure (towards the front panel where the subs are) off from the rest of his trunk.

This way all the bass would be eliminated from his trunk and pushed right into his cab. Good Idea?

Also would it be better to have the subs facing the back of the seat or face them upwards towards his back deck?

Thanks in advance for the help.

He has two Audiobahn AW 121Ts. They are currently in a sealed box, but are going to be in a slot ported box once we do the repositioning of the subs.

only thing you can do ( IMO ) is to cut the rear deck, and OR install 2 6" Aeros up were the 6x9s would be.. ( or cut the rear lid to make your own holes ) But I have Seen and done it.. Its not fun, but it did put up a descent # ... 2 12 RF T2s @ 45hz went from 136.8 to a 140.4 by using 2 external aeros coming up through the rear lid.. Not much on paper, but you heard and felt it quite a bit more

Yeah that's what I was gonna do. Cut a 10 inch port in the middle of the deck where there's some free space. Which way should I face the subs. Up or towards the cab?

Yeah that's what I was gonna do. Cut a 10 inch port in the middle of the deck where there's some free space. Which way should I face the subs. Up or towards the cab?
Figure out what length and size Aero your gonna need.. then cut a 7" hole for the port to go through.. The 6" flares out to probably an 8" but that wont matter as is gonna be above the lid.. the semi tricky part is gonna be figuring out the length of the port from the box to the top of the deck lid.. Your tuning might change a few hz, but it wont be a big deal.. Id just fire subs back, towards the trunk lid

i would first take out 6x9 and see if it gets louder, if so then you know opening a hole in the middle will work, i would also use some xtc foam baffles to seperate the 6x9 from the subs.

here are 2 6" aeros ported thru rear deck, for 4 12's

100_0166.jpg

100_0168-1.jpg

this picture does not show the bottom flares, they were put on after the silicone dried.

You don't have to cut NOTHING! Save your car the trouble mayne....

.... Build ( or have built ) a ported enclosure for those Audiobahns ( Don't go and get a Pre-fab from the Shop either )

That's all you're gonna need to do. Trust & Believe! ( I've hooked PLENTY of Impala's - And the one's with the Bubble Eyes in the back are the easy one's to make sound GREAT! )

You don't have to cut NOTHING! Save your car the trouble mayne........ Build ( or have built ) a ported enclosure for those Audiobahns ( Don't go and get a Pre-fab from the Shop either )

That's all you're gonna need to do. Trust & Believe! ( I've hooked PLENTY of Impala's - And the one's with the Bubble Eyes in the back are the easy one's to make sound GREAT! )
Thanks cuz. I was doin the custom box for him anyways. His box is pretty small.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.