Need suggestions for good tweeters

I have always found horn and bullet tweeters to be quite harsh, therefore I always thought them to be entry level quality. It also seems that bigger tweeters are gentler on the ears. I currently use a/d/s 336is.2 tweeters that are 1-3/4" diameter. They are mounted high on the A pillars reflecting off the windshield. Does it make sense? Not to most people, but to me, it sounds just right.

Reflected or reverberated sound can be aimed; that’s why tweeter horns are a thing. Angles matter more and more the higher Hz you’re dealing with.

feel my cilia cracking
Crackling, Yes! This is it, I just did not know how to describe it. I love how metal dome tweeters sound, but it is not worth the risk of losing hearing. There are non conventional tweeters called piezo-electric which are metal discs. They play quite high and bright but oddly enough, are not harsh. But if you stick them in a horn, fugetaboutit.

Horns are awesome, but horribly impractical in a car most times.

Tweeters sound "harsh" due to alot of different factors. Reflected sound, on vs off-axis aiming, mounting location, I could go on.

Before you try to switch tweeters, try these EQ cuts on your headunit if you can:

2500hz minus 2 notches
4000-4500hz minus 3 notches
8000hz minus 2 notches

If this makes things sound nicer, report back and I'll give you some more help. I was able to tame a pair of MB Quart titanium tweeters, pretty sure I can tame any tweeters after battling them.

Matt

Exactly what I was thinking. I found the tweeters from those alpine set I mentioned. I still have those old alpines so I'll just take the tweeters from that component set and buy another pair and throw them on a 4 channel. They're silk dome. By far the best tweeters I've heard. I hate harsh bright highs I like them to blend into the rest of the sound. I prefer my subs to overpower the best of my system but only marginally. Kinda like the opposite of what most people go for I feel like
Doesnt hurt to try them out. Never know until you do. They may be all you need atm??

Doesnt hurt to try them out. Never know until you do. They may be all you need atm??

Yea I went and ripped out my alpines out of my Blazer. When I bought them I was like a few months into my car audio journey. So I had just screwed them in with two screws at the top so the bottom was not sealing at all to the speaker baffles. Still sounded really good tho. Much bigger basket and a capacitor attached to the woofer with the jumper terminals so you can hook with tweeter (which has a crossover network) to a 4ohm load. Gonna buy another pair of these and throw them on a 4 channel. I forgot how nice these speakers actually are. Much better build quality than the dinky Kicker CS components I paid $170 for

Yea I went and ripped out my alpines out of my Blazer. When I bought them I was like a few months into my car audio journey. So I had just screwed them in with two screws at the top so the bottom was not sealing at all to the speaker baffles. Still sounded really good tho. Much bigger basket and a capacitor attached to the woofer with the jumper terminals so you can hook with tweeter (which has a crossover network) to a 4ohm load. Gonna buy another pair of these and throw them on a 4 channel. I forgot how nice these speakers actually are. Much better build quality than the dinky Kicker CS components I paid $170 for
Ya man.. Kicker has gone down hill for me since the early 2000 era on speakers with exception of the tweeters that still scream for me. Kicker amps are still pretty decent performers, and some of theyre RCAs. Last series tweeters I picked up that held up and scream were the KS25s,. I still have them and they still get loud for the $100 bucks I paid for them.I still have a couple ZR amps old school that are really good amps. A couple KQ9 Eqs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...