Need some opinions with the new setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

sml238
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay, so I'm about to order my new setup and I need some advice. I'm coming from a 15" AQ HDC3, powered by a Kicker ZX 1200, in a 3.9 net cuft box tuned to 35hz. This setup is now gone...the amp fried, I sold the sub, and I would like something more SQ oriented as I produce music and value more accurate frequency responses. I also want something that will hammer the lows, all while giving me similar output to my hdc3. The system will be going into the trunk of a 2003 VW Jetta GLI.

I'm looking at ordering a fully loaded 15" Fi Q with an SQ 1200d (Previously AQ 1200d). But I have a few questions regarding that...

1. Is going fully loaded a bad idea if I'm only giving it 1200w? I'm really looking to future proof myself incase I snag a bigger amp, plus its easier to sell. I'm mostly concerned with the spider.

2. Is SoundQubed still the same old AudioQue just with a new name?

3. Do the amps still have the clipped signal LED indicator?

4. With this setup, and possibly a pair of 8" Neo Pros and some tweeters, will I need a spare battery in the trunk? I already plan on doing the BIG 3, but not sure if I will need the spare battery or not?

5. Because I am getting Neo Pro's too would it be best to buy the knukonceptz dual amp kit that provides a 0G power wire until the distribution block, and then I can run short lines of 4G wire to each amp. This will be plenty sufficient since the 4G runs will be very short, correct?

6. Since I'm planning on getting separate mids and tweeters do I need a separate amp for the tweets or should I get a 4 channel amp for all four? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to this as I have been out of the game for a while and only have used coaxials before.

7. Also, should I only get the 6.5" Neo Pros and try and fabricate them into the doors of my jetta? or should I just get the 8's and fabricate a box or cut holes into my back dash?

8. Lastly, provided the details I have given, does anyone have suggestions for a box going in a 2003 VW Jetta GLI? I'm thinking I can squeeze in a 3.8 net cubic foot box tuned to 30hz? Is this a good tuning? Also, should I go aero or L vent? Rear facing port and sub?

Thanks in advance for the help! I hope I can learn some from this and get to ordering my stuff. I just want to make sure I plan everything out in advance before pulling the trigger. Take care.

Neo Pro's are not gonna give you a very sq oriented system. Also instead of the FI Q go with the IA Flatlyne.
how about selenium 8" mids and some st200 tweets? could i use those with the SQ 200.2? and run the 2x 8ohm 8" mids in parallel reaching a 4ohm load giving them 110w each. then i could run the 1 st200 tweeters in series to the other channel keeping them at 8ohms giving them 55w each? am i correct in this configuration?

If you can EQ the bottom end of the Q I think you'd be happy with it, maybe do a sealed enclosure. That sub is very bottom heavy/boomy...

8" Neo Pro's or Seleniums will be WAY louder then what is needed for a single 15" sub.

how about selenium 8" mids and some st200 tweets? could i use those with the SQ 200.2? and run the 2x 8ohm 8" mids in parallel reaching a 4ohm load giving them 110w each. then i could run the 1 st200 tweeters in series to the other channel keeping them at 8ohms giving them 55w each? am i correct in this configuration?
Go with a quality 6.5 component set it will sound better and be loud enough to handle your system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.