Need some input

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeepdude95

IL
So first ill say that this is my first post here. Ive been lurking reading for countless hours trying to figure out what im doing. It seems the more i read about port design, port velocity, port area, the more confused i get. I would like to maximize the performance of my equipment. (which, yes i know, its all garbage) So ill list all the info that i think is required and maybe someone with some knowledge can help me out.

So, i have a 95 jeep cherokee, stock 90a alt. 1/0 power and ground wires as well as the "big 3". I have a massive audio class d n3 1400w rms (or so it claims) two 12" power acustik gothic drivers wired at 1ohm in a ported box. (details in pictures) My question is, is my box design even close to being right? Its already built and it sounds decent, but i want to know if theres more potential.

I have attached the driver, amp and box info. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Im new to this and need help

Last edited by a moderator:
i'll assume the cf of box is correct 4.38cf ad is that after sub disp? 11.4 sq in port per cube is a tad small for 2 subs anyway with slot port (u cold throw up pic of box) but port area u need also depends on how much power u have so what amp do u have model and all?, if it's just like a 1k or less u probably ok if's it's a strong amp u probably need bigger port.. if u had done 4.25x12.5" port (which woulda made box little smaller) u woulda had around 13 sq in port per cube better if u have good power.. if u stick better subs in there u probably be ok, if u don't go with too much power.. i doubt anyone has pa subs in wins to model air velocity i just modeled 2 rf p3's in your box with 800rms clamped power (400per sub) probably more than u have.. wins showed tuning around 36hz too, air velocity was low on the p3's (20m/ps) so maybe u ok but idk pa subs.. other subs would be higher especially 1 like mine..

[quote name='jeepdude95']yes its 4.38 net. The amp is a massive n3, specs are in the pics above[/QUOTE]
if they anywhere close to the rf p3's u fine on port area, that massive amp probably don't do rated see what @bigblank69 says on that.. even if it did u would be clamping about what i have on my 1 sub so should be good.. just modeled pioneer 3003's in that box man it had nice curve on it, air velocity good on those to with more power than u have.. so i think problem is #1 amp (need bigger 1) #2 subs (get something nicer not crazy expensive) that'll work in 2-2.5cf ad box each should be good.. if the subs are d4 wired to 1 ohm final load see if big blank still has that wolfram 1500 amp he just tested, i think he wanted $229 for it, it's new he just test them and showed it actually does rated power so u be better with that probably.. if u wanta go bigger u need big 3 wires and have 2-0 ga power wire..

i attempted to test the amps output with a fluke clamp and ac volt meter and it was 41vac at 18.2 amps. So im guessing a tad over 700 watts total output. Ive been looking for a new amp that will deliver the watts i need. Also, i already have 1/0 wire as well as the big 3.

i attempted to test the amps output with a fluke clamp and ac volt meter and it was 41vac at 18.2 amps. So im guessing a tad over 700 watts total output. Ive been looking for a new amp that will deliver the watts i need. Also, i already have 1/0 wire as well as the big 3.
ok blank meant to say skar 800.1 so does 900 at 1 ohm (i guess it's 1 ohm) again thats what i have to 1 12 so i think u mostly need more power to get louder than look at upgrading subs. since u have to wire for it look around for a really good 1500-2k rms amp u be better off then and later look at fi alpha or fu 750 or sundown sa subs.. like i said wolfram 1500 does rated (maybe same amp as twisted sounds 1.3k which does 1600 or so and it's less $ if blank still has 1 fs).. just find someone to buy your amp and while u wait to sell it shop around..

Just curious... did you test the output with the sub connected?.. and could you tell if it was a clipped signal?

So first ill say that this is my first post here. Ive been lurking reading for countless hours trying to figure out what im doing. It seems the more i read about port design, port velocity, port area, the more confused i get. I would like to maximize the performance of my equipment. (which, yes i know, its all garbage) So ill list all the info that i think is required and maybe someone with some knowledge can help me out.

So, i have a 95 jeep cherokee, stock 90a alt. 1/0 power and ground wires as well as the "big 3". I have a massive audio class d n3 1400w rms (or so it claims) two 12" power acustik gothic drivers wired at 1ohm in a ported box. (details in pictures) My question is, is my box design even close to being right? Its already built and it sounds decent, but i want to know if theres more potential.

I have attached the driver, amp and box info. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Im new to this and need help
I actually modeled the Gothics on your power... For my preference I'd tune lower, go with a bigger box and it'll be a low tuned daily just under 32hz ... that's just me tho... it'll be less port area and a bigger box due to your power but it'll maximize what you got currently... should sound good too... nice simple subs up/port back SUV box... anyways... if it was mine I'd give it a try as it goes quite a bit lower... interested?

Just curious... did you test the output with the sub connected?.. and could you tell if it was a clipped signal?
Yes I ran that test with the subwoofers connected and playing at full volume and yes I had the gain set correctly no clipping.

Shredder2, Thanks for the advice and it already plays down to around 27 Hertz I didn't realize it needed to go much lower LOL
Ok... if your happy with the response you've got it's fine then... that amount of port you got looks to be good for a 1.8K amp.. so gramps was pretty close... lol... good luck

This is how your current box looks...

mw0vQK.jpg

This is what I came up with...

cYiH8M.jpg

That second one is -3db at under 25hz... that's low... lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.