Need some expert advice

OK here is what I have in my car

2X12" Pyle Gear 1000W subs being driven by a 1000W starsound amp.

6X9's 200W 4-ways being driven by 400W starsound amp.

Crossover with bass control system.

Mids and tweeters for the front stage running off my Kenwood front loader...

Now here is my problem. I have a sedan and I need to get more bass into the car. Currently a lot of my bass is sitting in my boot. My 6X9's is flushed in my back board. What I want to know is this: If I make a hole (port) between my 6X9's on my backboard....will this get some of my bass out of my boot. Lot of people in the know says no that it wont help....I on the other hand feel that I will get much more bass into the car if I do this.....What do u guys think???? I will really appreciate ur opinions on this...

THX

TIBS

What I would do is get a couple 6 x 9 grills. Cut your rear deck and cover the holes with the grills. And yes most of the time porting the rear deck does make a big difference. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I was thinking of doing what you have suggested, but I got some different opinions on this. In the meantime I am going to make the the hole in my back board. Will have pics of my system posted on the site. Look out for it ok and tell me what u think of it.

Porting the rear deck will help out, but also depending on how you have the enclosure they are in now and how it is facing will matter as well. If they are rear facing or forward facing etc.... A little bit more detail on the enclosure itself and how it is set up would be able to help out a bit more. Possibly without having to cut away much of your rear deck.

Good adivce Alaxan. Most of the time if you open your trunk and the subs get louder it means that the "waves" are being canceled. We just did a study on this and it was most shocking to see where 97% of all systems in the trunk hit the hardest.

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 Good adivce Alaxan. Most of the time if you open your trunk and the subs get louder it means that the "waves" are being canceled. We just did a study on this and it was most shocking to see where 97% of all systems in the trunk hit the hardest.
Been doing this a LONG time and have seen it happen more and more. Lots of people will aim in a certain direction after spending tons of time planning and designing a box only to waste it all because they are then using the resonance in the trunk to cancel the noise out. Looks can be managed with acoustic persona it is just a matter of defining the two in the design.

Nice! I spent my last summer vacation in high school working at a car audio shop & attending the Installers Institute. Then I went on to get a masters in electrionc engineering. Wanted to start my own line of amps but the funds were not there and are still not there.

Thx guys for the input.

Well to answer ur question regarding my box.

It is facing the rear. It is divided into two chambers by means of a board in the middle of the box. Also each sub has its own port.

A friend of mine suggested that I remove the board in the middle and just make one port in the middle of the box. The guys who did my system recommended that doing this will make it worse and that I should just go for the port in the middle of my rear board. What do u guys think? Once again thx for all the input.

I was also thinking of turning my box around so that the subs face the front, but I personally think that this will make it worse.

KevG

Originally posted by soundstream160 Thx guys for the input.

Well to answer ur question regarding my box.

It is facing the rear. It is divided into two chambers by means of a board in the middle of the box. Also each sub has its own port.

A friend of mine suggested that I remove the board in the middle and just make one port in the middle of the box. The guys who did my system recommended that doing this will make it worse and that I should just go for the port in the middle of my rear board. What do u guys think? Once again thx for all the input.

I was also thinking of turning my box around so that the subs face the front, but I personally think that this will make it worse.

KevG
Turn the box around and give it a try. I guarantee you will notice a hell of a lot of difference! Taking the board out of the center and reporting the box is a BAD idea! It will not only ruing any tuning on the box, but will then make for a giant paperweght because ti will be mostly useless. Porting the rear deck is still an option, but before you do that try turning the box around. It can not hurt and is a simple test you can do to see how you like the sound.

What kind of car ? Do the rear seat(s) fold down ? You could expirament with folding the seat(s) down to give some idea of what porting the deck will do .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.