Need professional guidance and advice on going active!!!!

disturbed471985
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
New setup starting up and this time I am going to go active or semi active whichever I can do.

Let me start off by saying that I know the best and tru way to go active is to get an active HU. Well a HU is not in my budget right now so getting one is out of the question. Now thats out the way so we can get down to what my next step should be. My idea is to run 2 sets of tweets and 2 sets of 6.5's in the front doors. Wiring each set in parr for a 2ohm load per set. Amp was going to be a NEW MB QUART Q4.150 4-CHANNEL AMPLIFIER 1760W CAR AMP | eBay I have used the smaller 4.125 and it did me right and gave me zero issues, plus every other amp that can do REAL 150x4@4ohm cost 3 times as much as this amp. Well in the last few days I have been told that amp is not active capable. I thought it was but now I am told nope will sound like crap. So I was told the best thing for me to do is to buy an external crossover and the cheapest compared to the price of a nice active HU. Or I could buy a amp that is active capable (sundown100.4d) for example. I can’t afford a 100.4 of course but now I want to know which route is the best using a external crossover or buying a active capable amp??? Pros and Cons of going with one over the other????

Also, I don’t know how to even tell a amp is capable of going active. Something bout band pass and something went right over my head. Can yall help me figure out the best way to go.

Option 1 - non active hu, non active amp, no external crossover.

Option 2 - non active hu, non active amp, external crossover

Option 3 - non active hu, active amp, no external crossover

Let me know what option is best for me but also give me some kind of direction on where to look for the things I will need to be able to do that option. I have no idea how to spy an active amp nor do I know a good external crossover from a POS either. So links, names, anything could help. Ok so now the money issue the crossover cannot cost more than $80 max. If going with a active amp is my best option then that amp cannot cost more than $240-270 and it must be able to do a min of 200rmsx4@2ohm. Legit amps guys I know I am on a budget but what I am wanting is possible with my budget just got to buy what I need not what I might need.

Substage will be last a later but will prob end up being 2 custom 10's and a bc3500, aq3500, 2 X BC2000's. So I am building a front stage that can keep up with the substage. I wanna hear wrds, I love bass but I got to be able to hear the song at the same time. All help appreciated..

My Panasonic HU is for sale for 50$ shipped it's active LOL you're just not looking hard enough. It's not my favorite x-over but it's decent, only has 80hz 130hz and 225hz for lpf/hpf and only a 12db slope but hey some people perfer those for nice blending.

I already took a look at it nice price and unit just not something my wife would be happy with. Shes not allowed to pick the equipment but I do listen to her wants on the HU.

Again these are the only 3 options I have

Option 1 - non active hu, non active amp, no external crossover.

Option 2 - non active hu, non active amp, external crossover- crossover $80 max

Option 3 - non active hu, active amp, no external crossover - amp $240-260max

The MB Quart Q4.150 will do what you need. The crossover on channels 1&2 can be set to highpass at 4.5kHz, and channels 3&4 can be set to bandpass from 15Hz-4.5Khz. It would be nice to have the option to filter the tweeters at 5kHz, but 4.5kHz will work that's in the range that a lot of passive crossovers filter the tweeters. I don't know why someone would tell you that it's not active capable.

This is copied directly from the Q4.150 owners manual.

-When in LP-BP operation, this setting acts as a low frequency cut off for your system reproduction aka Subsonic Filter. The point that you set it at cuts off any frequencies from reproduction beyond

this point. The 12 o’clock position is a great starting point. EXAMPLE: If you adjust the High Pass to 60Hz, the amplifier will not play frequencies below 60Hz but will play frequencies from 60Hz to the

chosen Low Pass frequency

If you select LP-BP Stereo mode on channels 3&4 the outputs will be bandpassed between the highpass and lowpass filter settings. If you wire your tweeters to channels 1&2 in HP-Full mode with the highpass filter set to 4.5kHz, and your mids to channels 3&4 bandpassed from 30hz-4.5kHz you have just set up an active front stage.

That's a hell of a deal for an amp with those specs! MB Quart too..... If I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket, I would snap one up in a heartbeat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I say go for it.

That's a hell of a deal for an amp with those specs! MB Quart too..... If I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket, I would snap one up in a heartbeat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I say go for it.
Already have... Loved my 4.125 so I am sure this will be just as impressive but with more power. Fused for 140amps so based just on that it should be capable of doing its rated power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.