Need new table saw, ideas?

I'v been in woodworking for a while now and craftsman is usually in the lower end of quality compared to Dewalt, Rigid etc. I would suggest looking Rigid's contractor saw, very very good saw.

If you can find a Ridgid contractor saw, go for it. I think they are out of stock for now until they bring back the granite top saw or come out with a new model. The new Porter Cable at Lowe's is very nice for the price and won't disappoint. I went with the Hitachi C10-FL earlier this year because it was on clearance and honestly, it wasn't much different than the Porter Cable other than the PC has a 36" rip and the Hitachi has a 24" rip. Also the PC has a riving knife which is a very nice feature in a saw. Both have decent caster systems if you need it to be mobile in your shop. Other than that, they are identical.

I would stay away from mobile saws unless you need it to be mobile. A "contractor" saw or hybrid tends to be a bit beefier. Also I don't know if dust collection is an issue for you or not, but be sure to check that out too.

I have heard that the craftsman isn't on par with the others I have mentioned concerning build quality but for the price it may be worth a look.

Whichever saw you buy make sure you take the time to assemble it properly and go through the necessary tune-up procedure. Align the fence with the blade, make sure the blade is exactly 90 degrees to the table, etc. It won't come perfect out of the box.

Good luck.

-Psych0

You bet your ass! The fence system is almost $500 on its own.
I just got a bc50 for $399 on sale and thought that was a steal //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you can find a Ridgid contractor saw, go for it. I think they are out of stock for now until they bring back the granite top saw or come out with a new model. The new Porter Cable at Lowe's is very nice for the price and won't disappoint. I went with the Hitachi C10-FL earlier this year because it was on clearance and honestly, it wasn't much different than the Porter Cable other than the PC has a 36" rip and the Hitachi has a 24" rip. Also the PC has a riving knife which is a very nice feature in a saw. Both have decent caster systems if you need it to be mobile in your shop. Other than that, they are identical.
I would stay away from mobile saws unless you need it to be mobile. A "contractor" saw or hybrid tends to be a bit beefier. Also I don't know if dust collection is an issue for you or not, but be sure to check that out too.

I have heard that the craftsman isn't on par with the others I have mentioned concerning build quality but for the price it may be worth a look.

Whichever saw you buy make sure you take the time to assemble it properly and go through the necessary tune-up procedure. Align the fence with the blade, make sure the blade is exactly 90 degrees to the table, etc. It won't come perfect out of the box.

Good luck.

-Psych0
good info thanks....gonna see if I can find a ridgid

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.