Need more bass

inteva6184

Senior VIP Member
pa
So I am finally happy with my mids and highs but now I need more bass. I have two sundown sa-8 v3's that I was running off a cab 1600. I felt like I might get the volume I wanted by adding more power so I got a taramps hd-5000. So now I am able to drive those things to their limit with clean power and I still am looking for some more bass. I have limited room because I driver a f-150 crew cab so I feel like at most I could fit 3 maybe 4 8"s or 2 maybe 3 10"s. So I guess my question is is adding or changing my setup going to show me any real gains or am I pretty much stuck because of my space limitations?

Are you currently running sealed or ported?
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
There’s a build on the ssa forum with 3 f8l’s in an F-150. Looks sick. Are you seats raised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am currently ported.

I did do the seat lift. I will have to check out the forum.

Dont get me wrong it's not bad, I just want more. I may be unrealistic which is why I am asking every ones opinion.

Rip that back seat out and build you a decent ported enclosure to house 2-4 tens or 12s..That seat can go back in another day or if you decide to resale

Just askin'... whats your space available?.. it's a 2" lift?.. 54" wide at least?

lFLXaU.jpg

Think 2 Sa-10's would be enough?.. it's 2.9ft3 net around 33hz

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am finally happy with my mids and highs but now I need more bass. I have two sundown sa-8 v3's that I was running off a cab 1600. I felt like I might get the volume I wanted by adding more power so I got a taramps hd-5000. So now I am able to drive those things to their limit with clean power and I still am looking for some more bass. I have limited room because I driver a f-150 crew cab so I feel like at most I could fit 3 maybe 4 8"s or 2 maybe 3 10"s. So I guess my question is is adding or changing my setup going to show me any real gains or am I pretty much stuck because of my space limitations?
IF you can double up on subs, assuming you can adequately power them and don't have to sacrifice box space/design to do it you can expect about 3 clicks on the volume knob worth of extra output.

Whether or not it's "worth it" is purely subjective but if wanting more output is nagging you, you had probably better give it a shot and see for yourself.

How about 2 10s ported? Fi ssd would be my choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely in consideration but I would probably go sundown again.

I think you're limited on airspace...
You got that right which is why I am struggling with what my best options are.

Rip that back seat out and build you a decent ported enclosure to house 2-4 tens or 12s..That seat can go back in another day or if you decide to resale
This is my daily and I have kids so that's not an option.

Just askin'... whats your space available?.. it's a 2" lift?.. 54" wide at least?

Think 2 Sa-10's would be enough?.. it's 2.9ft3 net around 33hz
I do have a seat lift and thats pretty much the same box I have except I made mine a little smaller for the sa-8's. As far as the 10's go thats kind of what im going back and forth about cone area wise its about the equivalent of 3 8's so I am debating on if that gain is worth building a bigger box and buying two more subs.

IF you can double up on subs, assuming you can adequately power them and don't have to sacrifice box space/design to do it you can expect about 3 clicks on the volume knob worth of extra output.
Whether or not it's "worth it" is purely subjective but if wanting more output is nagging you, you had probably better give it a shot and see for yourself.
Great point. I keep trying to imagine what that gain will be like but I am having a hard time. It seems like doubling power and cone area should be a large increase but number wise it doesnt look that impressive.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Try adjusting the tune. If you are active and you are using 24 db crossovers with your mid bass and sub then try a 12 db butterworth on the sub LP and keep the 24 db HP on the mid bass. I was surprised how much of a difference this made in my truck.

It seems like doubling power and cone area should be a large increase but number wise it doesnt look that impressive.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Sound intensity is a logarithmic scale. Doubling power or cone area is +3dB (assuming no losses which is optimistic). A click on a 0-35 head unit is 1.5dB. Anyway, best case scenario you get 4 clicks worth..... some of us pay extraordinary sums of money to achieve a dB gain. By my estimation a pair of 8's and a new box is not quite near the point of diminishing returns and really should require any unusual modification to the vehicle. From there when you try to double and you need 4 new subs and a much bigger box, or a much bigger amp and expensive electrical upgrades that's when you really have to start asking yourself what it's worth.... double again from there.... you see where it goes anyway.

From where you're sitting I'd totally go for it.

You may be maxed out....and if your limited on space and have more watts, then might be at a dead stop. Unless you get another vehicle...

You should be able to get 4 8’s in there and you have the power so you could be seeing a fairly good gain

How skilled are you at making boxes?

You could fiberglass the floor to get a little extra cf

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.