Need ideas for a build.

There can be a mixture of loudness with SPL. Just a matter of how everything is installed and tuned.

I agree, usually it's gonna be a mixture of the two unless it's a competition car. Nobody needs 150db of bass really. But with SQ components you might have a difficult time getting them to play loud enough.

there is no right or wrong in car audio, it's whatever sound best to YOU.

just throw some 6x9 on the front doors, seems to be all the rave these days. should slap with an xlod sub. oh and make sure to get some $700 crossover.
oh wait. that's what NOT to do.

Just to add, and a DSP too....and not knowing what your doing, go to a shop and have them "tune' the amps for ya. Then hire some random stranger off CL to install everything for ya.

Just to add, and a DSP too....and not knowing what your doing, go to a shop and have them "tune' the amps for ya. Then hire some random stranger off CL to install everything for ya.
I'm kinda new to all this audio stuff, I must ask. Does having a dedicated DSP make sense when you have DSP headunits?? I'm assuming they have more options than DSP in a headunit and you can fine tune your system to extremes, but for most people a DSP headunit would be good enough. is that the situation do you know?

I'm kinda new to all this audio stuff, I must ask. Does having a dedicated DSP make sense when you have DSP headunits?? I'm assuming they have more options than DSP in a headunit and you can fine tune your system to extremes, but for most people a DSP headunit would be good enough. is that the situation do you know?
DSP built into the HU?

Hmm that's a good idea. Wouldn't surprise me if there is one or a few on the market. I wouldn't know if a seperate DSP is needed if one is already built in into the HU. I would say no but could be wrong.

And....DSP's should be for advanced people.....not johnny kuthe.

I agree, usually it's gonna be a mixture of the two unless it's a competition car. Nobody needs 150db of bass really. But with SQ components you might have a difficult time getting them to play loud enough.
There's always a wrong in car audio. It's mainly for uneducated people that don't know better. For instance, clipping your subs to death. Can't figure out why. Buy another set of subs, they get fried as well. All because the bass boost is turned way up and chances are the gain is turned way up too.

John Kuthe is a perfect examply of audio gone wrong. I mean who the hell puts 6x9's int he doors!!

DSP built into the HU?
Hmm that's a good idea. Wouldn't surprise me if there is one or a few on the market. I wouldn't know if a seperate DSP is needed if one is already built in into the HU. I would say no but could be wrong.

And....DSP's should be for advanced people.....not johnny kuthe.
Isn't that what a pioneer 80, 99 are?

And I disagree that they should be for advanced people. On the pioneer 80/99 you can set your 3 way crossovers, set octave orders, add or take away deebeez from each of the 3 outputs, do time delays on the channels to create a stage.. To me that's DSP stuff. I don't know what the dedicated DSPs have.

I've seen plenty of install without any external crossovers/filters/dsps with just the processor headunit. It makes sense to install extra stuff for shops, and get paid for "tuning" it too.

And I disagree that they should be for advanced people. On the pioneer 80/99 you can set your 3 way crossovers, set octave orders, add or take away deebeez from each of the 3 outputs, do time delays on the channels to create a stage.. To me that's DSP stuff. I don't know what the dedicated DSPs have.

I've seen plenty of install without any external crossovers/filters/dsps with just the processor headunit. It makes sense to install extra stuff for shops, and get paid for "tuning" it too.
Uh I dunno. Think they have time alignment...but don't know the diff between that and DSP.

DSP aren't for beginner people that don't know how to hook up/install. How about that?

Buddy, you're on the wrong forum.

[quote name='LoudSound']I agree, usually it's gonna be a mixture of the two unless it's a competition car. Nobody needs 150db of bass really. But with SQ components you might have a difficult time getting them to play loud enough.

there is no right or wrong in car audio, it's whatever sound best to YOU.[/QUOTE]

Woah how'd I miss this?

It's not a NEED....rather a want. Tough to explain. You obviously don't understand the wants of more bass. There's tons of people out there crazy loud on the daily. @Hertz Mafia

Im starting on an auto build and want something interesting for audio. I figured why not ask here, from the people that know audio!
My budget is $3000-$4000 total...or less.

I want one of those fancy display screens, blue tooth, hands free calling, cd (perhaps)

3.5 and usb input, Usb charging, built in memory, mp3, and the ability to connect to steering wheel controls.

I generally dont crank the volume BUT I want the option to crank it a bit without distortion.

I DO want depth and quality of sound.

Sorry I dont know much about audio in general but I can build speaker boxes and do installs myself.

Wondering what is new for 2016-2017?

Complete system, H/U, amp, speakers?

Doesnt have to be fancy, just reliable and decent quality for the $$

Thanks!
Since no one seems to want to give you a legit answer, ill do my best here.

Lets start with the basics. Your music will only be good as the weakest link in your chain. If you use bluetooth, you will slaughter your sound quality. If you stream music from your phone. you will slaughter your sound quality. ANY kind of streaming or "over the air" kind of music streaming is terrible for sound quality. Lets say you have your phone and your playing Pandora to your phone which is then bluetoothing that to your stereo. First, your music is compressed and sitting on a server somewhere, its already less than 320kps usually. Then its send to radio tower that compresses it even more and sends it to your phone. Your phone then compresses it further over bluetooth and sends it to your headunit. By the time you even get the Original signal to your headunit, you low and high freq have been cut off and your music will sound terrible. This is true of a 100$ system or a 100,000$ system. Remember weakest link. APTX bluetooth is the only wireless signal ive heard good things about. Basically, you want a wired signal from your tablet or phone or ipod plugged into your headunit. Best option is a hard drive or USB directly to headunit with high quality 320kps music files.

What Data Compression Does To Your Music |

Then you have DACs. Digital Analog Converters. DACs are on All things that play any music. They are in your phone, they are in your head unit, they are in your home stereo. They take a digital signal(say from your usb plugged into your headunit) and convert it to an analog signal(rcas or directly headphones). Not all DACs are created equally. One of the best around is the Burr Brown in the 80prs headunit. Its not a double din. Its a single din with a ton of tuning power. As for the market for double dins. Im honestly not well versed in that particular area. There are plenty with active capability and tuning though. Anyway, You'll want a double din with high quality DACs.

So we know you need a good source, we know you dont want to stream it over the air. Not lets move onto power, wire, and rcas. Any 10-20$ twisted pair/shielded Rcas will work. Lots of choices out there. There is NO sound quality difference between a 10,000$ pair of rcas and a 20$ pair. You'll want an AGM battery. Any AGM from a local car shop will do. They are around 150-200$ and maintain themselves better in every way. They also arent hurt from low voltages as much as a normal battery is. Car audio power has more strands than say power wire for welding so its MUCH more flexible for getting around curves in a car. Knukoncepts is great choice tho rather spendy.

Onto Amps. To overly simplify things. You have two main types of amps. You have Class A/B and Class D. Class A/B has better sound quality. Class D is far more efficient and will get you louder easier. Most people get A/B amps for their speakers and class D for their subwoofer amps as the power requirements and efficiency is needed.

Sundown Audio SAX-100.4v2 - SSA STORE That is a great choice for sound quality, good build quality, and good power. its 4 channels so you can run a 2 way active front stage.

For a bass amp. You can go with sundown or mix it up a lil for something along the lines of this. SSA Store - Twisted Sounds TS1KW (TS1KW)

When it comes to speakers. There is this huge misconceptions that you need to spend bundles of money to get good sound quality and its simply not true. From the last 5 years of car audio experience i will tell you. Install and proper tuning is 80% of your sound quality.

So for a quick and dirty system that id bet you would be perfectly happy with.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/silver-flute-woofers-6-7/silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/

pair 2pcs alpine HIEND 28MM tweeter 4ohm 50W vifa XT25 PK seas scanspeak morel | eBay

Super cheap right? pretty good sound quality and GREAT for learning how to tune on your own without blowing up any expensive speakers on accident.

If you want truly great sound quality and want to spend alot. Audiofrog makes great products that are making waves in the audio world atm. The Hertz Hsk 165 and Hertz hsk 165xl are both VERY good speakers as well in the expensive price range. There is alot very good used high end speakers for cheap on here and diyma so dont be afraid to look into the used world. Dont touch anything hertz other than the HSK or Mille line.

you also want to sound deaden and seal your doors. Basically this does 3 things. 1. It stops road noise from coming into your car and allows you to have a quieter driver and be able to enjoy music more. 2. is lower resonant freq of your doors which corrupts sound quality. 3. it creates an enclosure so your door speakers can create low freq easier. Most car doors have HUGE holes between the front and back of speaker. Imagine a speaker box in your home or someones home theater. Now imagine you cut a ton of holes in that speaker box. What do you think would happen? It'd sound terrible. Thats EXACTLY what an untreated car door is. Its a speaker box with tons of holes.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/area-treatment/doors

^^ enjoy your reading.

in gear alone. Its about 2-2.5k for a very VERY nice system.

Main thing is the EQ. 80 prs eq is pretty lacking in a more advanced sound quality setup. Its graphical which is a set hz and q factor. Proper Dsps are parametric which means you can choose any frequency from 20hz to 20khz and its 31 bands. Not only that, you can adjust Q factor which is how much the boost or cut affects frequencies surrounding your eq point. Can you say fine tuning to the max? Also crossover aren't limited to select frequencies like on the 80prs, you can select any frequency 20hz to 20khz bandpass capable on any channel up to 8 channels left and right independently (eq as well). The 80prs only has the mid channel bandpass capable.

The 99prs is like a dedicated processor by itself and has most of these capabilities

Btw, i dont Need a 160db but im sure as hell want it and im gonna give it my all to get there. Rather be loud and have the ability to lower it down for an sq blend along with an custom spl/ sq eq option then sounding good but never be loud enough to satisfy cravings.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.