Need Help With Sub Problem.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Was asking to see if anyone has ever seen this happen. I understand, yes where I was at today I had no MM to use. Pulled the sub out of the box to check the coils with a MM tomorrow but once I smelled Audio Death, why bother right ?
This is something that I have never seen in any install that I have been around.
Did you look at the coil before you installed it?

Always cover your bases man that way if you need to file a claim. You know it wasn't your fault
I know buddy, It was just one of those days I guess. Left the house and forgot a few things. I sent the seller a message I'll wait to see what he says about it. I mean I'm not trashing anyone, just looking for answers.

And now it's burnt?
Yes. That's why I am stumped bro. It didn't smell while in the truck, granted It had really no output. I placed my hand just on the surround to see If It was powered and I could feel very small amount of cone movement. 1200 watts should of had it singing, But nothing really. Pulled the sub to check coils & smelled it soon as we got the sub out of the box.

Yes. That's why I am stumped bro. It didn't smell while in the truck, granted It had really no output. I placed my hand just on the surround to see If It was powered and I could feel very small amount of cone movement. 1200 watts should of had it singing, But nothing really. Pulled the sub to check coils & smelled it soon as we got the sub out of the box.
See my post above about cone movement.

And now it's burnt?
EDIT

Also, did the cone move like it should before you installed it? How well does it move now?
Cone still moves up and down, it's not locked up. I mean it's always been stiff. Before & after cone still moves. Let me take a few pics of it and I'll post them up. Probably be tomorrow tho cause ready for bed.

Cone still moves up and down, it's not locked up. I mean it's always been stiff. Before & after cone still moves. Let me take a few pics of it and I'll post them up. Probably be tomorrow tho cause ready for bed.
Sounds more and more like one of the coils had the polarity inversed when it was wired up. I have heard of it happening exactly how you described it, too.

Sounds more and more like one of the coils had the polarity inversed when it was wired up. I have heard of it happening exactly how you described it, too.
That's what my friend was saying. See I have never really bought a hybrid sub. Mostly just ran DD back In the day and the older MTX RFL.

yea if you wire the coils up opposite each other the sub wont but just vibrate a lil and make no sound. it will thermal quickly like this because the coil isn't moving to cool itself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.