Need help with my system

It's a rockford t400-2, bought brand new
id still try switching it out ,but first run a aux / rca cord from a ipod directly to the amp ,see if the noise persists.if yes then its the amp.if no then the rca's or deck

Could definitely be a ground issue. You could check all of your grounds and make sure they're proper grounds and that they're very clean. If the system has been installed for a long time, there could be some corrosion on the amp ground or even the head unit ground.

Sometimes, if the head unit isn't grounded properly, it will get its ground through the antenna wire but since that's not a good ground either, it can cause some damage that doesn't materialize immediately.

I'd go through all of my grounds and power connections meticulously, even if I had just installed the system. I've been pulling wire and hooking things up for over 25 years and I make mistakes or overlook something on occasion... maybe a ground isn't tight, maybe the ground on the head unit has some current floating on it, the maybes are a plenty.

Could definitely be a ground issue. You could check all of your grounds and make sure they're proper grounds and that they're very clean. If the system has been installed for a long time, there could be some corrosion on the amp ground or even the head unit ground.
Sometimes, if the head unit isn't grounded properly, it will get its ground through the antenna wire but since that's not a good ground either, it can cause some damage that doesn't materialize immediately.

I'd go through all of my grounds and power connections meticulously, even if I had just installed the system. I've been pulling wire and hooking things up for over 25 years and I make mistakes or overlook something on occasion... maybe a ground isn't tight, maybe the ground on the head unit has some current floating on it, the maybes are a plenty.
I'll check all my grounds today, hopefully it's that, if not i'll try changing where my crossover is mounted. See if I can get it mounted under my seat rather than in the door panel, unless speaker wire wouldn't create interference for the crossover?

It's a rockford t400-2, bought brand new
if you bought it at a dealer, get an rma from rockford they dont fix the amp they just send you a new one, i did that on my PBR300x4, 1 output became bad and they sent me a new one

No it's a head phone style plug for a iPods headset but has rcas at the other so you can plug into the amp direct
Yeah that's what I meant :p Thank you though i'll see if I have someone and try that. If it doesn't work then it's the amp most likely? Assuming I do this after I check my grounds and make sure there's no interference with my crossovers and everything's snug?

Yeah that's what I meant :p Thank you though i'll see if I have someone and try that. If it doesn't work then it's the amp most likely? Assuming I do this after I check my grounds and make sure there's no interference with my crossovers and everything's snug?
If you do the direct iPod plug in it will either rule out the deck and rcas or let you know the problem within those two things

I'll check all my grounds today, hopefully it's that, if not i'll try changing where my crossover is mounted. See if I can get it mounted under my seat rather than in the door panel, unless speaker wire wouldn't create interference for the crossover?

The speaker wire wouldn't create interference for the crossover but it's possible that a power wire in the door for something like power windows or locks could, although that's highly unlikely and would probably be caused by faulty grounds... which you're going to check into first.

I don't know if you've done a big three (forgive me for not re reading the thread) but if not, it would be a good idea to at least get a good ground from the alternator case to the body and frame of the car. You may have a poor factory ground that's inducing some noise. Also... make sure you have good ground from the battery to the aforementioned.

If you do the direct iPod plug in it will either rule out the deck and rcas or let you know the problem within those two things
I tested it with rca cables from the phone with the aux cable and there was still distortion (a lot) would that mean the problem is the amp?

I tested it with rca cables from the phone with the aux cable and there was still distortion (a lot) would that mean the problem is the amp?
Most likely the amp. Recheck continuity for the ground , if its good then the amp is the problem

Most likely the amp. Recheck continuity for the ground , if its good then the amp is the problem
alright, I'm not sure if its the ground because my sub amp has the same ground and has had 0 problems. I'm gonna check all the connections and make sure sure there's contact and solid connections. Thank you for all the help btw

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.