Why are my amps getting so FU**ING HOT!!!

gamehawk55
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys.

So i have a 2 amp setup. An AQ 200.2 (220w x2@4ohms), running a pair of Focal PS165 components in the front doors getting roughly 85W or LESS each from this amp.

I also have a RF T2500-1BDCP running a pair of Sundown SA-8v2 D2's. The amp is tuned to put out aprox. 1000-1200W to these subs.

Now considering BOTH amps are being run EXTREMELY well below their rated power would you not expect them to run extremely cool?

Well that's not the case. The AQ gets pretty da*n hot and the RF gets SO HOT that you can't even touch it for more than 2 seconds before getting burned. This just doesn't make any sense.

And just today the RF threw itself into thermal protection during a road trip. A simple off/on got it going again, but how in the HE*L could this amp be getting THAT hot to shut itself off when it's only being ran at LESS THAN 1/3rd it's full power?

The AQ has never shut itself off but still a little concerned that it's getting so hot when being ran at less than 1/2 it's rated power as well.

Any advice?

i got a relay and put some cpu fans in my trunk, with it being summer time out now, my amps are getting real hot too.

for only 2.99 for a 120mm fan is a great price after rebate, u can only do 1 rebate though, but for 7.99 is a good price

COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm

I have the exact same bdcp.. Mine gets that way too and there is no helping to it. They have no fans at all so there is nothing to make it cool off.. Just 15 mins ago on my way home from my girlfriends house it went into thermal protect.. I think it's a lost cause to not make them hot.

u may want to get like 4 or more fans and make an

and have a push pull method. It seemed to help my amps out. also did u set ur gains properly too?

u may want to get like 4 or more fans and make an

Gains were set with a DMM using a -5db 40hz track off the SMD DD1 CD. And regardless it would be near IMPOSSIBLE for me to accidentally set the amp to output MORE than it's rated power. If I had of then my subs would have been toast 5 minutes after I turned the amp on. Theres no possible way this amp is clipping at less than 1/3rd power and with the HU volume on only 28/35. I've checked the deck for clipping with a DD1 and it DOESN'T clip even at full volume.

I have the exact same bdcp.. Mine gets that way too and there is no helping to it. They have no fans at all so there is nothing to make it cool off.. Just 15 mins ago on my way home from my girlfriends house it went into thermal protect.. I think it's a lost cause to not make them hot.
Except what power is your amp tuned to put out? I'm only running mine at 1000-1200W. And it's capable of 3656W according to the birthsheet. My gain is only on like 3 FFS

mine does not go anywhere near clipping too, but got so hot, get some fans to be safe, its inexpensive, u want some help u can pm me

i got a relay and put some cpu fans in my trunk, with it being summer time out now, my amps are getting real hot too.
for only 2.99 for a 120mm fan is a great price after rebate, u can only do 1 rebate though, but for 7.99 is a good price

I fail to see how a couple tiny fans are going to even make a dent in the heat when I can go 120KM/hr down the highway with all my windows down and my seats down so the amp is getting a MASSIVE amount of air blown on it and it STILL gets hot.

I fail to see how a couple tiny fans are going to even make a dent in the heat when I can go 120KM/hr down the highway with all my windows down and my seats down so the amp is getting a MASSIVE amount of air blown on it and it STILL gets hot.

Fans can make a big difference. If you don't want to to use them, then don't complain about your amp getting hot.

Those little fans can move 70 CFM of air and if you have an amp rack built where the air is blowing directly on you ramps with a push/pull setup (windows rolled down is not having the air directly on your amps) you would see much lower temperatures.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.