Need help please

Zkuhens

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ky
I have an atomic ele 15 and i want to build the box to specs but cant get the size right when i take off sub and port displacement. I got the specs from atomic and I want to build a 9 cubic ft box since i have the room. They said the port size needs to be 190si x 8.5 long @55 hz. My dimensions at 19.5x49.5x19.5 which is 9 cubic feet without displacements. Can any help me out because i need 9 cubic ft after all displacements

What amp and why such a big box? Sounds like you need to add your displacements (port, sub, 45's, and bracing) to 9 cubic feet and then build your box that size.

I have the sundown sfb 3000b. Im going that big on the box because i have the room to plus it will be way louder. The box its in doesnt even meet the lowest reccomended air space required for it. I just thought it was loud now

I have the sundown sfb 3000b. Im going that big on the box because i have the room to plus it will be way louder. The box its in doesnt even meet the lowest reccomended air space required for it. I just thought it was loud now

I sincerely hope you are ONLY trying to play 55-57hz with this setup. 9 cube seems big even for subs that like large box. While you will keep gaining with larger and larger box there's definitely a point of diminishing returns and I'd guess above 8 cube you're not going to be gaining much and you'd be better served with an 18" in 8 cubes and up.

What is your goal here? What vehicle? What's the dimensions of your cargo area? Consider that if you're sacrificing on fundamentals of box design and limiting options of moving box position in the cargo area you may well be shooting yourself in the foot if you're chasing numbers... you'd often have more to gain from being able to move the box around to different angles adjust distance from sides of the vehicle, etc. than from adding an extra cubic foot once you're already that big.

Whatever you're trying to do here I hope you enjoy woodworking and can afford the lumber, glue, and screws because I can tell you from experience building 8-10 cube boxes every couple weeks to test gets expensive!

Yes im tuning it to 55hz. Its currently in a 3 cube box and it is nowhere near big enough considering the smallest recommended box is 4.25 and the biggest is 9. I talked to atomic and asked them what size box would be best and they said id get the best performance from a 9 cube box. Its only able to go one way because its going to be a midgate replacement box on my 05 avalanche. Its a 2000-10000 rms sub so why not give it the space it needs?

why not give it the space it needs?
Your plans will make a box that basically does not much else but play 55hz very loud. Just so you know.

You just need to do some math to figure out how much volume you have after displacement of the wood and port and keep the same 20":1 cubic foot ratio of port area per cubic foot of volume and the same 8" or whatever port length and it should get you about the same place. Just get a piece of paper and a calculator and start throwing numbers at it.

I honestly don't really know much about all this i was just going off what what they sent me. So would it be better to build one of the boxes tuned at 36 or 40hz? Im attaching the different enclosure sizes for my ele 15

Attachments

• 20200808_135617.jpg
    20200808_135617.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 247
I honestly don't really know much about all this i was just going off what what they sent me. So would it be better to build one of the boxes tuned at 36 or 40hz? Im attaching the different enclosure sizes for my ele 15

I highly advise reading this guide and using WinISD to understand Gain and FPS curves.

http://www.linearteam.org/ - WinISD download

You absolutely want to tune to 35-40hz for music. I really enjoy a 4.5-5 cube net box tuned to 36-37. If all you want is loud then sure tune to 45hz+ but no one does that unless they want a peaky high score without the ability to actually somewhat enjoy music.

That sub is a 3 inch coil for **** sake why the hell would they rate it 10k? You want a 4-5k amp to get 2-3k after rise, if your electrical can support it. A box more towards 5 cubes net will need less power.

They're also recommending an ungodly amount of port area. A single 8 inch port from bigassports will give you what you need. Iirc a 5 cube net box with an 8 inch aero port at 35hz is somewhere around 15 inches long.

I'll have to download that winisd and play around with it some i just know it needs to be in a bigger box than it is now. I want it loud but i also want to enjoy it.

You absolutely want to tune to 35-40hz for music. I really enjoy a 4.5-5 cube net box tuned to 36-37. If all you want is loud then sure tune to 45hz+ but no one does that unless they want a peaky high score without the ability to actually somewhat enjoy music.

That sub is a 3 inch coil for **** sake why the hell would they rate it 10k? You want a 4-5k amp to get 2-3k after rise, if your electrical can support it. A box more towards 5 cubes net will need less power.

They're also recommending an ungodly amount of port area. A single 8 inch port from bigassports will give you what you need. Iirc a 5 cube net box with an 8 inch aero port at 35hz is somewhere around 15 inches long.

I have the sundown sfb-3000d pushing it an 3200w 1ohm(dyno tested) i have a 370 amp h.o alternator and the big 3 upgrade and a xs d3400 battery. I thought that was an unreal amount of port myself. But i think im gonna build 2 and see which i like better. Going to build the 8 cube tuned at 40 and a 6 cube tuned to 36

I have the sundown sfb-3000d pushing it an 3200w 1ohm(dyno tested) i have a 370 amp h.o alternator and the big 3 upgrade and a xs d3400 battery. I thought that was an unreal amount of port myself. But i think im gonna build 2 and see which i like better. Going to build the 8 cube tuned at 40 and a 6 cube tuned to 36
There you go, build both. That's actually a good idea, wood is cheap.

You'll get around 2kw after rise out of that amp unless you clip it. That's the right amount of power for that sub. Might take 500w-1kw more in short burps but not much more than that

I'll have to download that winisd and play around with it some i just know it needs to be in a bigger box than it is now. I want it loud but i also want to enjoy it.
9ft3 ea?... Idk about that... lol
Try sizing it for your power and tuning 40hz or under if you want something musical.

Personally tuned mid 30's I'd go 4.5ft3 or so on your power with that sub

Last edited:
Yes im tuning it to 55hz. Its currently in a 3 cube box and it is nowhere near big enough considering the smallest recommended box is 4.25 and the biggest is 9. I talked to atomic and asked them what size box would be best and they said id get the best performance from a 9 cube box. Its only able to go one way because its going to be a midgate replacement box on my 05 avalanche. Its a 2000-10000 rms sub so why not give it the space it needs?
[/QUOTE]

So, it's a 10,000 watt sub for 3 seconds only. How much are you going to feed it daily?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.