Need Help on installing Components

Participant count
  • Participant list

venom107
10+ year member

The Graveyard Shift
I have a 4 channel Alpine amp and I really wanted to swap my 4inch fronts for some 4inch mid-bass drivers and ad some 1inch tweeters in the doors. I really like the sound of components in the front compared to just a single set of speakers. Anyways I was just wondering do I have to purchase a 3way crossover to hook a component set up to a 4 channel amp while driving a set of 6.5's also? I was thinking of purchasing JL's XR653-CS set but I would have to get a new amp to drive the set. Does anybody have any other ideas on how to get a set of components up front and keep my existing amp? Where could I find some nice 1inch tweeters and 4inch mid-bass drivers? Overall I just want to know how to incorporate a component set up front to my existing setup. Thanks for the help.

Well if you buy any components they come with a crossover. So you will not have to buy one of them. A full component set comes with 2 mid bass drivers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossovers. If you are wanting to keep your other speakers too you could either hook them in series of parrallel with the crossover (depending on your Ohm level). I am not a big fan of putting tweets in the door. I mount mine in the ceiling of the vehicle so the highs are near you and pointed at you. I have found that mounting them in the door is OK, but not the best for the tweets. People may disagree, but it is personal taste.

If your component set and your 6.5 are 4 Ohm and you wire them in parallel you will get a 2 Ohm load. Your amp will handle that load so you really do not need an additional crossover.

Thanks for the help so far. Do you have any ideas on some components that sound really good in your opinion? I've heard the JL's XR653-CS and I think they sound awesome but they are high end of the price market. I'm looking for a soft sound not screeching highs. I've got Alpine and JL mids and highs right now and I'm very pleased. I looked for alpine components but I couldn't find a 4inch speaker in the set. So you got any other ideas for a good price? Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.