Need help on a radio choice.

TexanSound

CarAudio.com Newbie
texas
Ok i have a 2011 f150 with sync. *doesn't have the fancy factory radio. Hopefully door speakers work.

Well now its time to replace it with a nice unit

Kenwood DMX4707S this is what im thinking about, mainly because of quality. And it has a better eq setup https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DMX4707/Kenwood-DMX4707S.html

But since i don't plan on going all out thoughts on boss/dual. As they are a lot cheaper then $300

Thank you.
*also radio hasn't worked in forever.

Well i lack patience, not in replying just me being me. But ended up buying the kenwood bought everything needed even the steering controls. For 460 shipped should be here in a couple of days. I figured do it decent the first time and be done with it.

Kind of funny i i won't spend that on a bt speaker but a head unit really?

Last edited:
I figured do it decent the first time and be done with it.

Good call. No point in buying something that will keep you wanting and kicking yourself, especially since you have possibly read many of the bad ratings of those other brands you contemplated.
Only negative I see about the Kenwoods is the sheer volume of settings. I have been into car audio quite a while and I still stare blankly at quite a few of those settings.

Ok i have a 2011 f150 with sync. *doesn't have the fancy factory radio. Hopefully door speakers work.

Well now its time to replace it with a nice unit

Kenwood DMX4707S this is what im thinking about, mainly because of quality. And it has a better eq setup https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DMX4707/Kenwood-DMX4707S.html

But since i don't plan on going all out thoughts on boss/dual. As they are a lot cheaper then $300

Thank you.
*also radio hasn't worked in forever.

Well i lack patience, not in replying just me being me. But ended up buying the kenwood bought everything needed even the steering controls. For 460 shipped should be here in a couple of days. I figured do it decent the first time and be done with it.

The HU is the Workhorse of your audio system. Why Cheap out and get something that may not have everything you want and need to serve its purpose? Quality is another reason to spend the extra funding along with reviews of the unit and its results of the real world day to day use and durability as well.
Kenwood/JVC or Alpine are my first choices of todays HUs on the market. The top tier Sony units are another to be considered as Sony are making some nicer units and providing beyond a 1 yr warranty on some of theyre units. Sometimes buying cheap ends up costing more down the road. Its like my Nike Airforce one high tops. Buy the knock off brand and see just how long they last for $20 bucks cheaper as the ones I have have lasted me more than 7 yrs and still look and feel great, and Ill wear them 3-4 days a week

And to say... Purchasing from either Crutchfield of Sonic Electronix, are the only sources Id ever purchase from until Im proven any better places too. They have both an excellent record of quality customer service and very minimum issues with returns. They also will provide a wiring harness,a dash kit and an antenna adapter if needed in majority of the purchase of the unit. Excellent place to purchase from. I like all my Kenwoods/JVCs, and Alpines that I have and have had. Like my Eclipse HUs as well.

#1. I'm personally not a fan of touch screen. I like buttons and dials. Buttons and dials can be adjusted and changed a lot easier while driving, (and with gloves on), then touch screens can. Touch screens look better, and if you have kids to entertain, then it's probably a better choice. You do you, I just like to offer my opinion(/shove it down your throat).

#2. I like Kenwoods, I have an excelon single din. My only issue with your choice is if you plan on adding amps. That one has 2v preouts. All the excelon head units have 5v preouts. It means the signal going out is a higher voltage (when you turn it up). So you don't have to turn your gains up as high to make the same voltage (/target wattage). It's a little easier on the amp(s), so it's also a little less distortion. If you don't plan on cranking it loud with amps, then this is irrelevant.

Last edited:
And to say... Purchasing from either Crutchfield of Sonic Electronix, are the only sources Id ever purchase from until Im proven any better places too. They have both an excellent record of quality customer service and very minimum issues with returns. They also will provide a wiring harness,a dash kit and an antenna adapter if needed in majority of the purchase of the unit. Excellent place to purchase from. I like all my Kenwoods/JVCs, and Alpines that I have and have had. Like my Eclipse HUs as well.
Ya crutchfield is my number one source. I got everything expect the pre made connections they offer. Come to think of it, last headunit i had was a single din sony xplod with 2 xplod 6x9s

#1. I'm personally not a fan of touch screen. I like buttons and dials. Buttons and dials can be adjusted and changed a lot easier while driving, (and with gloves on), then touch screens can. Touch screens look better, and if you have kids to entertain, then it's probably a better choice. You do you, I just like to offer my opinion(/shove it down your throat).

#2. I like Kenwoods, I have an excelon single din. My only issue with your choice is if you plan on adding amps. That one has 2v preouts. All the excelon head units have 5v preouts. It means the signal going out is a higher voltage (when you turn it up). So you don't have to turn your gains up as high to make the same voltage (/target wattage). It's a little easier on the amp(s), so it's also a little less distortion. If you don't plan on cranking it loud with amps, then this is irrelevant.
Ya touch screens do seem like a pain but once i set the eq it doesn't bother me, my laptop *doby access & phone is the same way. Plus android auto seems kinda nice although I'll probably never use it unless i run wired usb.

The HU is the Workhorse of your audio system. Why Cheap out and get something that may not have everything you want and need to serve its purpose? Quality is another reason to spend the extra funding along with reviews of the unit and its results of the real world day to day use and durability as well.
Kenwood/JVC or Alpine are my first choices of todays HUs on the market. The top tier Sony units are another to be considered as Sony are making some nicer units and providing beyond a 1 yr warranty on some of theyre units. Sometimes buying cheap ends up costing more down the road. Its like my Nike Airforce one high tops. Buy the knock off brand and see just how long they last for $20 bucks cheaper as the ones I have have lasted me more than 7 yrs and still look and feel great, and Ill wear them 3-4 days a week
I feel you on that my laptop isnt cheap nor my phone or ear buds/headset, but the thought of budget build for the truck crossed my mind as i probably wont invest in a setup probably door speakers and be done if needed.

It is sad i wouldn't spend the same amount on a portable speaker unless im going all out and get the baddest one with some France name for 1.3k *has the bass hit i like.

Don't ever buy off-brand head units. Reputable stuff isn't all that much more money and durability, build quality and performance are unreliable to downright awful on the flea market brands.

Don't ever buy off-brand head units. Reputable stuff isn't all that much more money and durability, build quality and performance are unreliable to downright awful on the flea market brands.
Ya thats what i figured after my original post.
Was driving an 08 ford f150 with a jenson head unit, keep in mind i don't know much about the instill or anything as it wasnt part of my job just putting miles on it after we replaced the block with a reman from ford, but it was ghost touching. Did get it to work somewhat played fm while it was doing the ghost touch, second drive i did it seemed fine *stayed on radio screen.

Also before i bought the kenwood, saw boss going for the same price but had wireless android auto. Really didn't need that feature as wired would be just fine for when i want to run gps, i would have to figure out how to route my cable for that i think i have a decent length cable for it somewhere. Since i have sync input i wonder if i can run a usb input cable to that area.

Was driving an 08 ford f150 with a jenson head unit, keep in mind i don't know much about the instill or anything as it wasnt part of my job just putting miles on it after we replaced the block with a reman from ford, but it was ghost touching. Did get it to work somewhat played fm while it was doing the ghost touch, second drive i did it seemed fine *stayed on radio screen.

Also before i bought the kenwood, saw boss going for the same price but had wireless android auto. Really didn't need that feature as wired would be just fine for when i want to run gps, i would have to figure out how to route my cable for that i think i have a decent length cable for it somewhere. Since i have sync input i wonder if i can run a usb input cable to that area.
Boss is some of the cheapest garbage made car audio gear on the market. Flea market garbage. better can be had for a few dollars more.

Didn't realize ups dont run on Sunday must be nice *fedex runs you 7 days a week. Sad my package is at least 3hrs away still will get here Tuesday.

Ya man.. Im not a fan of UPS. I thought they only run 5 days a week? Every and I mean every package I get from them is either destroyed, severely damaged or opened from snooping. I like FedEx. Even USPS Blows Azz. These are pretty much the only ones I have access too to use. DHL used be be around and were the best Ive ever used

Jensen was selling some fair head units about 10 years back. They didn't last near as long as the better brands but the features/function/price was pretty attractive and I ran a few with good results. Rumor has it they've since done some sort of reorganization and their stuff is all just rebadged Boss/Soundstream/****.

Well ups still hasn't updated the tracking kinda concerning but oh well. I had it happen before through them in the past.

Also for shits and giggles i looked at door speakers. Makes me wonder do they still make 6x9s because all i found for my truck was 6x8 and 5" ones.

If i go door speakers it will be kicker hopefully 6x9 will work or something that can handle over 100w rms. I think the kicker 6x9s can hold 140w even though i never got them past what my single din sony could put out.
my co worker said i could have his amp which he believes is a fosgate 4 channel.

I do need advice on amp though, if i did go that route lets say amp is 1000 watts, i would have to turn it down a lot maybe on lvl 1 setting? to not blow the speakers. Dont plan on subs but the ability to drive the speakers hard as my music is bass heavy sounds fun.

I guess i I'll find out tomorrow if the door speakers work

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...