Head unit won't turn on after subwoofer install

thomassburns

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I recently installed a sub and amp combo into my 2016 4runner. It ran fine for a while with no problems. Accelerated up a hill a couple days ago and the remote turn on wire snapped out of the back of the amp. Everything else worked fine, but the sub wouldn't play. When I put it back in, something happened and now the head unit won't turn on. I've checked the fuses I know of that could be related, and none are blown. If anyone has any pointers in the right direction to fix this it would be much appreciated!

Did you check your relays? You might want to check the radio wiring to see if the turn on wire pulled on the radio harness and pulled a pin out or something. I’ve had high gauge remote wires snap on me before from being so thin, too, where the wire snaps inside of the outer coating. You can read the DC ohm of the remote wire and see.

Last edited:
I couldnt tell you what's wrong but i can offer some trouble shooting advice. Use a multimeter and check the remote wire at the back of the headunit for voltage. if theres voltage on the remote wire but the headunit isnt turning on, check the power wire for the headunit and make sure theres voltage there too. Then make sure theres continuity between the ground wire and the vehicle body (common ground). If all your wires check out, it could be the headunit that has an issue. If youve got a spare headunit laying around you can try to swap it and see if it will turn on.

first: secure the gear. amps and subs need to be secured (screwed or bolted in place to something firm) and not loose on the floor.
second: inspect and re-do every connection. because the first rule was not followed, everything is now suspect.

because you say that you have a remote wire, i am assuming the head unit is aftermarket. if the remote wire shorted out, it can take out a cheaper head unit, or a fuse on the head unit itself. need more info.

Last edited:
Pull the head unit out, and at the harness use a test light to check 12v, ground, and Accessory. If all three are good, you have probably shorted out the head unit.

You can pull the head unit out, and run a couple jumper wires from 12v straight to battery, you can run ground to batt neg to test, or to ground, and accessory to battery. That will tell you if the head unit can power on.

If it's the head unit, either try and find a youtube video and see if you can fix it if its not under warranty, or prime day deals start tomorrow, and black friday is coming up depending on what you got.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...