Need help on a radio choice.

Also one more question those who have this unit or close enough, i noticed it needs to be spliced into the parking brake to access settings, i saw where you can ground it to the back of the unit. But also saw it causes issues *quick google led me to reddit.

How would i go about bypassing this just cut green wire on the head unit and ground it? Or am i missing something because the thought of using the e brake when im messing with it sounds stupid

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911_175243_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911_175243_Samsung Internet.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 17
I can tell you right now 6x8's are the stock size on that Ford. You will need to cut the opening up if you plan on using 6x9's. Your best bet is to find a 6.5" Component set and get an adapter to the 6x8's. I have a Ford Explorer and that is what I did. Used a 6x8 adapter to 6.5". There is a guy on eBay I use that can make any thickness on the adapter and it is 3d printed & I can tell you from experience the quality is top notch and isn't thin junk like some of the stuff you see out there from crutchfield and sonic. Depth is always an issue on ford doors so my adpaters are 1/2" thick so I can use a deeper 6.5" speaker then the shallow mount ones. Link below to him on eBay

Also sonic shows that it also has a center speaker on that Ford and possibly a tweeter in the pillars. If so then I would just remove the 3.5" and do the said 6.5" component set with the tweeter in the a-pillars and the 6.5" in the front doors.

I can tell you right now 6x8's are the stock size on that Ford. You will need to cut the opening up if you plan on using 6x9's. Your best bet is to find a 6.5" Component set and get an adapter to the 6x8's. I have a Ford Explorer and that is what I did. Used a 6x8 adapter to 6.5". There is a guy on eBay I use that can make any thickness on the adapter and it is 3d printed & I can tell you from experience the quality is top notch and isn't thin junk like some of the stuff you see out there from crutchfield and sonic. Depth is always an issue on ford doors so my adpaters are 1/2" thick so I can use a deeper 6.5" speaker then the shallow mount ones. Link below to him on eBay

Also sonic shows that it also has a center speaker on that Ford and possibly a tweeter in the pillars. If so then I would just remove the 3.5" and do the said 6.5" component set with the tweeter in the a-pillars and the 6.5" in the front doors.

Thand you for that info I'll have to keep that in mind when i decide to replace the door speaker.

Also one more question those who have this unit or close enough, i noticed it needs to be spliced into the parking brake to access settings, i saw where you can ground it to the back of the unit. But also saw it causes issues *quick google led me to reddit.

How would i go about bypassing this just cut green wire on the head unit and ground it? Or am i missing something because the thought of using the e brake when im messing with it sounds stupid
Yeah you have it figured out. You can test if first to make sure. It's so that you can only input the GPS information while the parking brake is on (parked), because it's distracting to input an address, and therefor dangerous. Shops are going to connect it to your parking brake wire. If it's for you, have enough common sense when you do it, it doesn't become dangerous. If it's for a teenager, then you probably want it done the safer way.

Yeah you have it figured out. You can test if first to make sure. It's so that you can only input the GPS information while the parking brake is on (parked), because it's distracting to input an address, and therefor dangerous. Shops are going to connect it to your parking brake wire. If it's for you, have enough common sense when you do it, it doesn't become dangerous. If it's for a teenager, then you probably want it done the safer way.
Thank you, i kinda figured it was simple plus common sense is better than safety features imo

Still don't understand how its supposed to get here today when it left the ups hub 3hrs away at 4am *our town's ups is 40min away so it will get sent there then to my house

Last edited:
Well ups still hasn't updated the tracking kinda concerning but oh well. I had it happen before through them in the past.

Also for shits and giggles i looked at door speakers. Makes me wonder do they still make 6x9s because all i found for my truck was 6x8 and 5" ones.

If i go door speakers it will be kicker hopefully 6x9 will work or something that can handle over 100w rms. I think the kicker 6x9s can hold 140w even though i never got them past what my single din sony could put out.
my co worker said i could have his amp which he believes is a fosgate 4 channel.

I do need advice on amp though, if i did go that route lets say amp is 1000 watts, i would have to turn it down a lot maybe on lvl 1 setting? to not blow the speakers. Dont plan on subs but the ability to drive the speakers hard as my music is bass heavy sounds fun.

I guess i I'll find out tomorrow if the door speakers work
Odds are that fosgate will be around 80-120 watts per channel but that's plenty for mids and highs

Thank you, also its out for delivery

Still not here yet hopefully it gets here before i have to go back to work... i lack patience even though i won't be able to install it till after work unless my boss allows it

Last edited:
Well update time
Sorry for pics but android life. But clicking should show correct view
All 4 doors work and sound great, how im not sure as my connections look piss poor. *my biggest fight using butt connections.. i guess heat shrink tubing would be the best idea.

There is a metric ton of wires and half of them i don't know what its ment for. Tomorrow should have it fixed and factory installed. *edit a lot of them i probably won't use.

Also on this kit it says bolt mount to the radio but screws aren't long enough. You can see it on dash in second picture

I failed today but got a small win with it working

Attachments

• 20230912_185725.jpg
    20230912_185725.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230912_195353.jpg
    20230912_195353.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Update I noticed the SWC doesn't work I changed it to the correct setting, before putting it in. Not sure if the SWC worked before

Also, Android mirroring isn't working, will test a new USB cord that I got with one of my devices in the morning.

Overall the truck is perfect for this guy until I blow a speaker or 2. Then it's a 4 channel amp and doors. Probably going to apply sound deading at that time probably next fall if it makes it. Got decent audio, and the muffler fell off/stolen not sure why they didn't take the resonator *if one catches the point..

Fun fact i need new cheaper hobbies, or deeper pockets.
(Trucks, guns, electronics mainly gameing related and photography.)

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...