Need help installing a new amp

Participant count
  • Participants list

Johnnyxray210

CarAudio.com Newbie
I appreciate the help on an earlier post I got in finding speakers for my son's 2018 Impala. Not a whole lot of experience on my end with car stereo but enough technical knowledge to not want to mess something up. I appreciate the knowledge on this forum. Here is what I have:

2018 Impala factory unit: 40 watts RMS (my guess)
4 kicker KS series 75 watts RMS 300 W max 6x9 3 way 4 ohm
two 3 1/2" in-dash speakers not sure about watts (factory)
no sub yet (will buy a separate amp)
Amplifier: probable Infinity Reference 75 watts RMS/300 W max (open to suggestions)

My goal is to power the four 6x9's with an amp for now and then later add a subwoofer in the trunk with a mono amp.

I understand about power wire gauge, in-line fuse, grounding, and remote wiring. I think I understand that if I don't have RCA outputs on my factory unit then I need to somehow get the signal out to the amp which then puts it out to the speakers. Is that a what is called a LINE OUT CONVERTER? Does that require a wire harness adapter of some sort? Then what is the easiest way to run speaker wires to each speaker? Should I run them all seperate or run them back to the head unit where all the speakers wires come together and tap into them there? Is there a tap made for that?

I would appreciate any help or recommendations.

Thanks in advance

You have to tap into the speaker wires with the line output converter trust me if this is your 1st time doing it It's going to be extremely complicated but the line out converter runs off a speaker wire

You have to tap into the speaker wires with the line output converter trust me if this is your 1st time doing it It's going to be extremely complicated but the line out converter runs off a speaker wire

Thanks for the info. What's the most difficult part or hurdle I am going to run into? I've done stereo swaps and speaker stuff back in the day. Installed an amp and speakers on my boat a couple of years ago, and done some micro soldering on a dodge shifter and rewired a wire harness on my 07 tundra after a squirrel ate through it. Repair washers, dryers, lawnmowers, boat, car engines, you name it, I'll give it a go. I do
X-ray and catscans for a living so I'm up for the technical challenge.
So when I pull the unit out, what am I expecting to see? Does the converter just plug into the back of the stereo or tap into the speakers? I'll check out YouTube and study up on line-out converters. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks for the info. What's the most difficult part or hurdle I am going to run into? I've done stereo swaps and speaker stuff back in the day. Installed an amp and speakers on my boat a couple of years ago, and done some micro soldering on a dodge shifter and rewired a wire harness on my 07 tundra after a squirrel ate through it. Repair washers, dryers, lawnmowers, boat, car engines, you name it, I'll give it a go. I do
So when I pull the unit out, what am I expecting to see? Does the converter just plug into the back of the stereo or tap into the speakers? I'll check out YouTube and study up on line-out converters. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.
Speaker wires need be tapped in.. along with power(come off Aux min of 15 amp in fuse panel) ground, ect. Directions are pretty straight forward. You will have options for a 4 ch front stage and rear stage amplifier , and a set of RCAs for the subs later on if you choose with this unit.

The actual wiring harness I believe is in the trunk behind the panel on the right side that's where all the wires are to the stereo speakers The exact configuration I am totally unaware of but I remember my installer showing it to me

Speaker wires need be tapped in.. along with power(come off Aux min of 15 amp in fuse panel) ground, ect. Directions are pretty straight forward. You will have options for a 4 ch front stage and rear stage amplifier , and a set of RCAs for the subs later on if you choose with this unit.

Do you happen to know if with a LOC, not including a subwoofer but is it 2 channels one set of speakers, 4 channels, 2 sets of speakers, 6 channels, etc?

Also, I am concerned that my original speakers in my door were 2 ohms, 40 RMS woofers and not full range. I am replacing them with full-range 3 ways. Am I going to get a full-range signal from that particular speaker wire? Is that an issue? I saw on youtube that I needed full-range input into the LOC.

Do you happen to know if with a LOC, not including a subwoofer but is it 2 channels one set of speakers, 4 channels, 2 sets of speakers, 6 channels, etc?

Also, I am concerned that my original speakers in my door were 2 ohms, 40 RMS woofers and not full range. I am replacing them with full-range 3 ways. Am I going to get a full-range signal from that particular speaker wire? Is that an issue? I saw on youtube that I needed full-range input into the LOC.
I'm not sure that's why I ran the dsp first so I could level it all out. Some do have the factory mine didnt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...