Need help going back to Factory Radio

Participant count
  • Participant list

jad0001

CarAudio.com Newbie
Good afternoon, I'm new to the forum and changing the radio out myself, don't want to pay someone to do it this time. I've reverted back to my 16 year old self and bought a ‘95 2 door Tahoe with an after market radio and am going back to the factory radio but want to be able to add a sub later down the road. I’ve got the factory radio (that has Bluetooth added) and a 4 Chanel line convertor to add. I took the aftermarket radio out and plugged up the factory radio and it has power but no volume.

My knowledge is very limited but there is another plug left open in the back of the factory radio as pictured. What needs to go there and what am I missing here?

Also, what wires need to be added/changed for me to connect the 4 channel line convertor to add a sub? Also what sub wires do I need to feed up there? Optimally would like to open this all back up once.

Added some pics too.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions that could help lead to a diagnosis. Thanks for any and all advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 96
The empty plug may be for an anti-theft system or other features in your vehicle. Check one of the speakers to make sure the previous owner didn't disconnect the speakers and run them from an amplifier?

Look for a wiring diagram online to see which colors are for which speakers. You can do your splice behind the stereo, or run your LOC from a speaker near the location of the new amplifier. Purchase long enough RCA cables to reach from the LOC to the input on the amplifier.

If you still don't get any sound, pull the plug, look for bent pins and reinstall, before looking at the stereo as the culprit.

Why are you downgrading to a factory radio?
My thoughts exactly. I could see it for an original restoration, but adding an amp and sub doesn't jive with that.

Jad0001: did you plug in the antenna cable? Looks like it's just hanging out in your pictures.

jeffdachef & jt4x4 -

It's a 95 Z71 2 Door Tahoe with a factory 6.5L Diesel with 240k on the body and 20k on new engine and trans. It's surprisingly all still original except the aftermarket radio and exhaust. I got the headliner recovered and the visors recovered. Seats are next.

I just like the factory radio look but also like some bass every now and then. I'm thinking a very slim line small sub to go under the back seat. But simply want the truck to look as factory as possible.

Edit:
I also want an amp or knob where I can adjust the volume on the sub as I don't want heavy bass all the time. Any suggestions the best way to accomplish this? Maybe route the knob under the driver seat vs mounting on the lower dash.

Some amp manufacturers give you the option of a remote gain control that plugs into the amp. These are manufacturer-specific. Another universal option is a potentiometer that goes inline with your rca's. The latter might not be a good option depending where you place your line out converter (I'm assuming you want it within reach while you drive).

I personally prefer the rca potentiometer style because it's one less wire to run in the vehicle, and if you connect your rca's near the deck, the placement makes it easy to find a convenient mounting place for the knob.

How do you use the vehicle? If you're keeping the oem look because you display it, i would look for an amp that offers a remote gain control. Run the wire dirty across the interior, and remove it when your vehicle is on display.

Here's how I mounted my knob in my offroad rig. I'm very happy with it, but as you can see I drilled a hole in the dash console to get my wires through. Not sure how original you plan on keeping the vehicle, and I wouldn't drill noticeable holes in any of my other vehicles. Sounds like a neat vehicle, by the way! Those two-doors are sharp and not very common. I didn't know they stuffed a diesel in them, but that's because I'm a Ford guy.
20201015_173533.jpg
20201015_173602.jpg

Here's how I mounted my knob in my offroad rig. I'm very happy with it, but as you can see I drilled a hole in the dash console to get my wires through. Not sure how original you plan on keeping the vehicle, and I wouldn't drill noticeable holes in any of my other vehicles. Sounds like a neat vehicle, by the way! Those two-doors are sharp and not very common. I didn't know they stuffed a diesel in them, but that's because I'm a Ford guy.

Thanks for the advice! I bought it to drive daily. I just prefer the way the factory radio looks vs aftermarket. I put the radio in this weekend and got volume but the quality was terrible, not poor, terrible. And when I switched between BT, AM and FM it had large volume spikes while switching. Ultimately, this is most likely way above my head and I just need to pay to have it done right lol.

Just take your time and try not to get frustrated. If you didn't want a project, i don't think you would have bought something from 1995. I am almost finished with the head gaskets on my 1993 F250, so it could be worse.

Best advice I can give: start drinking every time you start a project. Either you'll finish the project, or you'll stop caring for a while. Win-win.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.