Whine from speakers but not the sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mast0rMason_

I've got a Vibe Slick A3 and running the door speakers off channels 1 and 2 at a 2 ohm load and a sub bridged off channels 3 and 4 at 4ohm. The sub doesnt whine but the door speakers do after a few mins of being turned on. I've ran the speaker wires up to the head unit and just cut into those wires to wire them back to each speaker cause it's a hella load easier. If I unplug the RCA cables it still whines too so it cant be that. Could the gps adapter on the stereo interfere with anything?

Or could it be that the amp just doesnt like a 2ohm load? It says its stable for it though.

Edit: speaker wires are running the opposite side of the car

Edit:
Slight update, had my dad run the amp at his work as he has a power supply for it there and no noise. So the only thing I can assume is interference from the engine loom or fuse box going into the power cable? Could explain why the noise flickers when I throw on the hazards.

Can the power cable insulation just be bad?

Last edited:
Slight update, the subs squeal when I take out the rca cables for them, and if I half poke in the 4th channel so only the positive touches the slot and not the outside if the rca it's a lot louder of a squeal.

Could this just be a ground issue with the rca contacts inside the amp? It's just weird the noise only comes after 10 mins or so but if I switch it off and on it goes and comes back 10 mins later.

Is the power wire and rca cable ran on the same side of your car ? If so, that can 100% cause distortion.
Yeah, but it makes the noise after 10 mins or so not as soon as it turns on. And the noise still continues after I take the rca cables out so it cant be them because the volume on the head unit is at 0 too. The volume doesnt effect the noise unless I crank it right up and turn it down. After I turn it down it will come back after about 5 or 10 seconds.

Cant be heat related because if I turn the head unit off and on it will restart it. Itll take around 5 10 mins for the noise to come back.

Slight update, had my dad run the amp at his work as he has a power supply for it there and no noise. So the only thing I can assume is interference from the engine loom or fuse box going into the power cable? Could explain why the noise flickers when I throw on the hazards.

Make sure grounds are tight, sanded down to bare metal. If your amp is screwed onto bare metal, try to have a wooden platform between it and only drill into the wood. Sometimes the amp chassis can cause problems with boise when touching the car chassis.
If that doesn't work, change grounding point.
If that doesn't work, run a dedicated ground. If that doesnt work, add a capacitor, they filter electrical noise in the forms of AC ripple reduction.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.