Need Advise on this CRAZY Idea. EV's ,Beyma, Super tweeters

lazrguira

IL
I currently have a 2015 mazda6 that has the upgraded Bose system. The system sounds very nice for what it is but I was lacking some more low end bass so I installed a 10" infinity sub in a sealed box and it sounds great. NOW I want to add another small 2 or 4 channel amp and make a portable mid bass and tweeter box "DOMINICAN REPUBLIC" style. Something small and loud & clear. I'm going to put the pro audio Neutrik connecters on the box so I can put the box on top of the car when I want to or just lay it in the back seat. So I'm sure some of you have seen the EV, BEYMA setups with the super tweeters. That's what I want. Can It be done? Please tell me what I need and how to do it correctly. Looking for small as possible like 12"L x 10"H x 6"D or something similar. Thank you all.

had a feel you guys were not going to like this....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I'd say you're just as well off buying a small amp and grab a pair of bookshelf speakers from a pawn shop or something if you just want something to put on the roof when you're out having a cookout or whatever and want tunes. Buying a good name brand bookshelf type speaker system will likely sound and look better than what you'll cobble together out of raw parts unless you really know what you're doing and have some patience, time and money for experimenting.

gstokes... You got it!! that's exactly what I want it for. But I would like to have at least one midrange and one good super tweeter or horn. This way I can stand it up and pull one of my seats down when I'm cruzing or laying on top of my car when at the lakes or beaches. I will buy a dedicated amp just for this. and grab the signal from my subwoofer amp. I just wanted to know if this is correct.

1)If I buy an 8ohm mid bass and an 8ohm tweeter and wire them together I will get a 4ohm load correct?

2) now lets say that I buy an amp that pushes from 300-500 watts RMS at 4 ohms to run this. Wont the tweeter have too much wattage going thru it?

3) Do I need some type of cross over or bass blocker for the tweeter?

Thanks.

I'd say you're just as well off buying a small amp and grab a pair of bookshelf speakers from a pawn shop or something if you just want something to put on the roof when you're out having a cookout or whatever and want tunes. Buying a good name brand bookshelf type speaker system will likely sound and look better than what you'll cobble together out of raw parts unless you really know what you're doing and have some patience, time and money for experimenting.
I thought of that already but that would be kind of goofy riding around with book shelf speakers and I would need 2 of them to achieve a 4ohm load since most of them are 8ohms. Beside I want it for cruzing too... I drive a lot. Loud music make me happy!! Thx

I thought of that already but that would be kind of goofy riding around with book shelf speakers and I would need 2 of them to achieve a 4ohm load since most of them are 8ohms. Beside I want it for cruzing too... I drive a lot. Loud music make me happy!! Thx
Well throwing a bunch of horns and PA mids in the rear of a vehicle sounds like absolute ***. I'm not cosigning that.

You obviously never been to puerto rico or dominican republic. And I never said a bunch. All I want is one 8" midbass driver and one horn or a tweeter. That should be plenty for me...not to mention loud as hell.I rented an suv in dominican republic that had 1 12" sub, and a portable box like the one I want with 2 10" ev and to super tweeters....you could here that thing 2 blocks away. I partied everywhere I went with that setup. So awsome the way they do thing out there.

You obviously never been to puerto rico or dominican republic. And I never said a bunch. All I want is one 8" midbass driver and one horn or a tweeter. That should be plenty for me...not to mention loud as hell.I rented an suv in dominican republic that had 1 12" sub, and a portable box like the one I want with 2 10" ev and to super tweeters....you could here that thing 2 blocks away. I partied everywhere I went with that setup. So awsome the way they do thing out there.
Did you happen to take pictures of it ????

1)If I buy an 8ohm mid bass and an 8ohm tweeter and wire them together I will get a 4ohm load correct? 2) now lets say that I buy an amp that pushes from 300-500 watts RMS at 4 ohms to run this. Wont the tweeter have too much wattage going thru it?

3) Do I need some type of cross over or bass blocker for the tweeter?

Thanks.
Two 8 ohm speakers in "parallel" provides an 4 ohm load impedance.

300 watts rms is a lot for any tweeter but you could combine a pair of 8 ohm tweeters in parallel for 4 ohm load that when combined could handle 300 watts rms.

A 1st order 6db per octave high pass filter aka (bass blocking capacitor) is the minimum requirement, here's a 1st order high pass filter calculator..

Car Audio - Speaker Crossover Chart and Capacitance vs. Frequency Calculator(High-pass)

Parts Express sells inexpensive PA speakers, horn or bullet tweeters and crossovers. They have entry level car audio amps and they sell Neutrik speaker connectors.

And to answer your question, you will need a crossover for the tweeters at least. I recommend a two way crossover to simplify things and when you use a passive crossover, the amp does not see the impedance of the speakers, it sees the impedance of the crossover. Ergo... if you install a 4Ω crossover and both your tweeter and midbass drivers are 4Ω, the amp will still see a 4Ω load.

I second the comment about poor sound quality but if you've already heard a setup like this and you like it then by all means do it. ;-)

I was in Puerto Rico last spring (I absolutely loved the food, the beach, and old town San Juan). And rest assured we have plenty of PR and DR people here that load their cars with horns and PA mids that's why I say they sound terrible... because I've heard plenty and they're all screechy and honky. Sounds like someone yelling at you through a cheap megaphone.

I would say that YOU have never heard an actual good sounding system, or have a tin-ear and just can't tell the difference. If you want it to sound good for music, work on some good FRONT speaker locations, either door pods or kickpanels, deaden the locations, and use good quality components and a good amplifier. If you want tunes to put outside the car, a small set of bookshelf speakers from a pawn shop would be the easiest and cheapest way to go. They generally sound good and are efficient enough that you don't need to worry about the impedance to get plenty of output. Just set them up on your roof when you are out partying.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.