NEED Advice on What speakers to get

Participant count
  • Participant list

shep523tke
10+ year member

I need help on what speakers to buy! I have a 4 channel Kicker amp (650 RMS) powering a pair of 6.5's, 5.25's, and 2 dome tweeters. I'm thinking I need at least 100 watts RMS each speaker, but not sure what to get.

I would ask the shop that did my complete install, but they assured me my focals would be fine and the back pair blew out after 2 months. I'm taking it back and will demand they take back the front set, but will have to purchase the new speakers from these crooks.

Please help! I can't take their advice, and need to demand good replacements that can handle the power. I was thinking RF... any suggestions?

Focal Access 130 CA1 SG, and 165 A1 SG. Before the install I told the guy I was concerned because the RMS was os low, and he and 2 others told me it would be fine. I was only looking to spend $150 each pair at the time, but would go up to $300 each now if I have too

if the installers said that the focals would take the power ,then you might wanna go back and try to get you money back for them,tell the manager or owner what the installer told you as far as the speakers taking the power .i wouldn't spend any more money there tho .if you can get a refund you can get better for the money.usually the lower lines of focals and some other higher end brands aren't as good as the retailer might make you think.

I'll give it a shot... but have a feeling they're going to say I turned up the amp or something. Any suggestions on what I should get? Don't think I can find Focal's that can handle that power... that's in my price range.

The kicker 650.4 is rated 120x 4@ 4ohms or 170x4 @ 2ohms. Most installers at shops mark the gains when setting amps. So they'll know if the gains got adjusted. Cdt's are really good and pretty cheap. Focal seems to be over rated in my book. Rf is pretty good to but, the tweets I don't care for. Polk audio are good too and fairly cheap. There's a lot of good stuff out there to use. Just research the price range you're into and go from there before buying.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I actually asked for Polk Audio's when I first came in and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't think the Focal's were that great either. I'll keep looking.

look into the Image dynamics CTX lines sir,

also Diamond makes a good set,

Hybrid audio designs Imagine

arc has nice sets,

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

JBL msc-6.5 or something like that have been getting raving review and are only around 170

That would be JBL MS62c and, yes, great speakers with good staging and accurate midbass in a proper install.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Plus SonicElectronix has them for less than I paid and they can warranty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.