Need a chainsaw

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
Bought an echo a couple years back and only lasted one season. Tried to start and it’s locked up, cord wouldn’t pull. Local dealer said it would be cheaper to remake than fix. Just looking to spend around $300. Just needed for cutting branches/limbs around the house, nothing industrial.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
I wouldn't expect much from a saw at that price point. I can say I paid over 700 for mine about 8 years ago and it's still running strong and I've put a lot of miles on it. Seems to me I'm ahead of the game over buying a throwaway one every year or two at this rate.

In general I've never regretted up-spending on tools and often regretted trying to cheap out.

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't expect much from a saw at that price point. I can say I paid over 700 for mine about 8 years ago and it's still running strong and I've put a lot of miles on it. Seems to me I'm ahead of the game over buying a throwaway one every year or two at this rate.

In general I've never regretted up-spending on tools and often regretted trying to cheap out.
I get what your saying not working after just one season!! Ridiculous. I do see a Stihl farm boss that looks promising.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
I have a couple husqvarnas and a Stihl. Both have been great. Let a buddy borrow one of the husky’s and he put straight gas in it and locked it up. I ordered a $25 top end kit and rebuilt it and it’s been good as new for over 2 years now. lol

Reactions: powerlifter405

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
I have a couple husqvarnas and a Stihl. Both have been great. Let a buddy borrow one of the husky’s and he put straight gas in it and locked it up. I ordered a $25 top end kit and rebuilt it and it’s been good as new for over 2 years now. lol
Those are the brands that I’ve been eyeing. Could have been my fault that mine locked up. Maybe my gas/oil ratio was off.

deez283

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Apr 29, 2009
I had a cheap Craftsman from Sears that was locked up and bound for the dump but before I took it, I was able to break it looks with a small ratchet. this was about 6 years ago and it's still running today..

You can get a small Stihl in your budget and it should last.

Reactions: Ridinhi

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Mar 27, 2019
A lot of those chainsaws are just re-branded. A Craftsman has a lot of same parts as the higher end models. Sold a lot of different ones when I was at the Polaris dealer. Stihl has a good rep yet we have a Craftsman here that is 20 years old and has been beat all to hell and still keeps on ticking. Only thing we have to buy is the chains and those are cheap 3-4 packs for 30 bucks online and they re-sharpen several times.

deez283

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Apr 29, 2009
A lot of those chainsaws are just re-branded. A Craftsman has a lot of same parts as the higher end models. Sold a lot of different ones when I was at the Polaris dealer. Stihl has a good rep yet we have a Craftsman here that is 20 years old and has been beat all to hell and still keeps on ticking. Only thing we have to buy is the chains and those are cheap 3-4 packs for 30 bucks online and they re-sharpen several times.
Yep I have a Poulan Saw that is about 15 years old and it is identical to the craftsman. Just the plastics are a different color.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Mar 27, 2019
Yep Craftsman uses Poulan parts and Stihl Parts when making their chainsaws. One reason you see so many part #s that are the same between the two.

Reactions: deez283

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
My family has bought nothing but Craftsman tool from Sears since the beginning of the company. I hate to say this but they are trash today. Do not buy a Craftsman saw. Last one I had didn't even last a year before the piston shit the bed. Personally I'd take the saw apart and fix it myself. For what you want at that price just go to Walmart and buy one. In that price range they are basically all the same. I used to work for an outdoor equipment wholesale place and sold more chainsaws and parts that i care to even think about

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
My family has bought nothing but Craftsman tool from Sears since the beginning of the company. I hate to say this but they are trash today. Do not buy a Craftsman saw. Last one I had didn't even last a year before the piston shit the bed. Personally I'd take the saw apart and fix it myself. For what you want at that price just go to Walmart and buy one. In that price range they are basically all the same. I used to work for an outdoor equipment wholesale place and sold more chainsaws and parts that i care to even think about
Man, glad I read this. I was just asking someone about craftsman. Wasn’t sure if they were the same from back in the day or not. I know their tools were top notch but wasn’t sure if that applied to their saws. Well, I’ll prob just get a Stihl or Poulan that I see price around $2-300.

powerlifter405

CarAudio.com Regular
Apr 9, 2022
Man, glad I read this. I was just asking someone about craftsman. Wasn’t sure if they were the same from back in the day or not. I know their tools were top notch but wasn’t sure if that applied to their saws. Well, I’ll prob just get a Stihl or Poulan that I see price around $2-300.
I have a home owner stihl ms170. Did the muffler mod and will install an adjustable carb. I paid less than $200 on sale nib.

It Keeps up with neighbors 56cc Jonesred without any issue besides not having a 24" bar.
Stihl weed wackrt and just got a Husqvarna 150bt blower. No preference all three work great.

Deiimos

CarAudio.com Regular
Apr 27, 2021
So now that the thread is back up, wonder what the OP went with?

Last saw we bought was an Echo CS-400, like 12 years ago. Cut up a couple trees in the yard and a lot of random firewood. I also used it to demo tons of old plywood with nails in it I needed to get rid of. Lent it out a couple times and it still fires first couple pulls when I used it late last year. I did pinch the bar when it was new, and broke the chain 😅 , it has an old Craftsman bar on it right now I think, but been a decent chainsaw for the price. Have not even had to take the carb off yet. Not saying it is the best, but been happy with it.

I have a Ryobi 4 cycle trimmer I use different attachments on, and it leaks oil depending how I have it stored and it locks up the cylinder. Take the plug out to get it moving again, refill up the oil, and so far can still get it to fire up and use it. After it sits though I expect it to be locked up when I go to pull the cord. So I know it can be annoying when things just don't want to work right. I also picked up a second hand Echo backpack blower, but it wasn't treated well and does not run like my chainsaw. I think the cylinder has light scoring on that one.

powerlifter405

CarAudio.com Regular
Apr 9, 2022
So now that the thread is back up, wonder what the OP went with?

Last saw we bought was an Echo CS-400, like 12 years ago.
From what I understand Echo is supposed to be a decent brand. I believe stihl has Swedish made equipment and some that are made with Chinese parts of the like then assembly by stihl.

Ridinhi

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Aug 8, 2006
I have a home owner stihl ms170. Did the muffler mod and will install an adjustable carb. I paid less than $200 on sale nib.

It Keeps up with neighbors 56cc Jonesred without any issue besides not having a 24" bar.
Stihl weed wackrt and just got a Husqvarna 150bt blower. No preference all three work great.
Never did get a chainsaw. Ended up using a pole saw I had stored in my shed. Did well for tie job I needed it for but still want to get a chainsaw just to have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.