Nakamichi PA504 Questions - Screws

Participant count
  • Participant list

clickclickw00t
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, I work at a car audio shop and I was able to score another free item on top of the Focal Power KP2s I got for free, a fully working Nakamichi PA504 old school ZED built amp. It was in the "not working pile", I noticed its size and weight and decided to test it. Work perfectly fine. Sounds absolutely amazing.

Now, there is one problem. The screws that hold in the speaker wire are ALL missing. I have power, remote, and ground, but I have none of the 8 that hold the speakers together. Does anyone, but any odd chance, have an idea where I could find these screws? I really don't want to solder right onto this legendary amp, so I need some way to have it hold my speaker wire in place.

Let me know if you know someone that has some screws, knows the dimensions, or has any ideas. Thanks!

Take the amp along to either Lowe's or Home Depot, they actually sell the screws with the compression plate, just find the ones with the correct thread so you don't end up stripping it.
these don't have a compression plate. the screw is the compression.

maybe look around at the car audio shop you work at, find another broken amp with similar screws? or take a screw out of a slot that has the correct screw, take it to a hobby shop and see if they have it.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna check out home depot and lowe's this week when I have some time. I opened the amp up and it looks like there a few caps blown. Anyone know someone that knows how to service these? After closer examination I don't think it is a ZED built one because it doesn't say ZED on the circuit board, but I could be wrong. All I know is this is supposed to be one the cleanest sounding amps out there.

On an unrelated note, a customer yesterday brought in two JL 12w6 woofers, with deteriorating surrounds. Claimed they were blown and bought new ones and told me I could keep these. I took them home, tested them, and they work fine. Decided to recone them and the kit was $50 for the pair. So: $50 for $700 worth of speaker. I think that's my record... Now, do I rock the two JLs with my AQ2200, or do I leave the Audioque HDC312, sell the JLs, and get myself a 3-way active system using this Nakamichi and my alpine MPR-F240??? decisions decision! My shop can get me a 3sixty.3 at cost, below $300.

Definitely a zed amp. I don't think the presumption that ALL zed's amps have ZED on the board is true in every case.

Although most i've seen (I've owned 3 of them and seen hundreds of board photos) do say "handcrafted in the USA".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.