My music sounds high pitched and quiet. What is wrong and what can I do to fix it?

Participant count
  • Participant list

samshaver18

The other day I went to my friends house who is a mechanic and we replaced a few brake parts and a blower motor for the heat and air conditioning on my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L V6. I left his with no problems and the next morning I was driving and turned on my heat full blast (stupid Wisconsin weather)and about 30 seconds later my music went from completely normal to quiet and high pitched. All speakers, amps, and wiring is factory installed. 2 or more of the speakers are blown, I have new speakers but I am waiting to install them until this gets figured out.

So far I have made sure it wasn't a blown/loose fuse which it wasn't, I took the factory amplifier out, unplugged the 2 connections and tested each of the channels. The 12v stereo was showing about 12.8v and all of the other channels were showing a current with exception to the all of the amp connections (e.x amp LR +) all amp channels showed no current but I'm thinking that's because the power comes from the amp and when I tested them they were not plugged in to the amp. I already know its not a blown fuse, the stereo, or the alternator because the music still plays its just high pitched and quiet not a high pitched whine like a alternator. So I was wondering if maybe when we replaced the blower we maybe broke something because the blower is right next to lots of wiring, or maybe the amp is broke because its 17 years old, or if I need to replace the speakers. If anyone could tell me what the problem is and what I need to do/replace to fix it that would be really appreciated, thanks!

The other day I went to my friends house who is a mechanic and we replaced a few brake parts and a blower motor for the heat and air conditioning on my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L V6. I left his with no problems and the next morning I was driving and turned on my heat full blast (stupid Wisconsin weather)and about 30 seconds later my music went from completely normal to quiet and high pitched. All speakers, amps, and wiring is factory installed. 2 or more of the speakers are blown, I have new speakers but I am waiting to install them until this gets figured out.
So far I have made sure it wasn't a blown/loose fuse which it wasn't, I took the factory amplifier out, unplugged the 2 connections and tested each of the channels. The 12v stereo was showing about 12.8v and all of the other channels were showing a current with exception to the all of the amp connections (e.x amp LR +) all amp channels showed no current but I'm thinking that's because the power comes from the amp and when I tested them they were not plugged in to the amp. I already know its not a blown fuse, the stereo, or the alternator because the music still plays its just high pitched and quiet not a high pitched whine like a alternator. So I was wondering if maybe when we replaced the blower we maybe broke something because the blower is right next to lots of wiring, or maybe the amp is broke because its 17 years old, or if I need to replace the speakers. If anyone could tell me what the problem is and what I need to do/replace to fix it that would be really appreciated, thanks!
Does it sound like only tweeters playing?

Like a high pitched output

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Sounds like they got in a played with your stereo ...and blew all your mids ....Ive had it happen before ..now I install hidden kill switches on my accs wire for that very reason or unhook it before carring in for service if easy to access...saves monies in the long run ...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.