Do I need h/o alternator or build a bank of batteries?

imloudek

ny/nj
Looking to upgrade my bass in my daily driver, looking at a pair of sa 10s (open to anything else), pushed by a pair of z1ks strapped, should i upgrade to h/o alternator or add more battery(ies) and/or both with my current setup?

I noticed in your sig the car is a civic? Depending on the year, some civics alt's are tiny. My 99 never could get over 100 amps out of it. It was not new, but it was not that old either. Never hurts to grab a HO alt, however they tend to be incredibly over priced. I had a guy build my 200 amp alt for 180 and it seems to be working great.

Sorry for the late response...never got a notification by email that I got replies to my post

No my daily driver is a 99 Altima...and the stock alt is only rated at 90 amps

My listening habits...I tend to crank/beat and test the volume limits of my system a lot, I would not be surprised if my alternator goes anyday now...knock on wood

Sorry for the late response...never got a notification by email that I got replies to my post
No my daily driver is a 99 Altima...and the stock alt is only rated at 90 amps

My listening habits...I tend to crank/beat and test the volume limits of my system a lot, I would not be surprised if my alternator goes anyday now...knock on wood
Is the stock alt only is 90 amps then during idle it will do near 40-50 amps if your lucky.

Just remember 1000 real watts on 14v comes out to be 71 amps.

So your alternator having to charge not only for the stock system, but for your radio and amp then you will be left with an over worked alternator.

Adding another battery will just add to the load, but will help if you dont listen at full volume 24/7. Since most 99 altimas come with 100 amp alts id say just get your stock alt rebuilt if there is anyone local.

If you plan to go big later on then just buy a new h/o alt. If this is just for the drive till you sell your car then add a very large agm like a d3100 and watch your voltage for voltage drop because with such a small alt if you let it dip to low 12's to long who knows how long it will be till your alternator dies.

plan on having around 3k total wattage with the route looking to go, I am just not happy with my sub stage at the moment, its not enough bass...

dc power alternators and singer any good?
Id choose between mechman or singer.. Dc is really expensive and mechman is cheap, but does alot of community help.

Singer is very very good, but is usually a little bit more expensive.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

I also have a 99 altima as a daily. If you go with Mechman you will need the universal alt. Singer can build a 250-270 amp can't remember which out of the stock alt platform. Singer will be building a 6 phase soon i was told, not sure what the amp output will be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.