HARSH MUSIC

Dire Straits is on of my go to bands for tuning a eq. The songs I use are Wild West End, Why Worry and Once upon a time in the West. Then I jump to Pink Floyd. ( I am a huge Floyd fan ) If I want to check it with a live recording I use David Gilmour live in Pompeii

For me it's the over 20KHz. That's well beyond vocals, the realy tingy, tinny sounding cymbals and triangles. I can blast my music all day long as long as I take that out with the EQ or use the filters. Even moderate volumes with those doesn't take long for my ears to cringe.

That's my suggestion, filter out the over 20KHz and see if that helps.

For me it's the over 20KHz. That's well beyond vocals, the realy tingy, tinny sounding cymbals and triangles. I can blast my music all day long as long as I take that out with the EQ or use the filters. Even moderate volumes with those doesn't take long for my ears to cringe.

That's my suggestion, filter out the over 20KHz and see if that helps.
There is no need to filter over 20khz, which your can't really hear. Most people can't really hear over ~12-16khz, above ~12khz you more or less don't hear it but sense it and creates "airiness or openness" in a recording. Tinniness actually occurs around 1-2khz and is the first harmonics from a cymbal. Silibance is usually what listeners complain about, which occurs at 6khz and "piercing" occurs around 10kz. Below is an interactive chart that's been around for decades that one can use to EQ a system. It's actually intended for recording engineers, but works for car audio guys too.

"For me it's the over 20KHz. That's well beyond vocals, the realy tingy, tinny sounding cymbals and triangles. I can blast my music all day long as long as I take that out with the EQ or use the filters. Even moderate volumes with those doesn't take long for my ears to cringe."
There is no need to filter over 20khz, which your can't really hear. Most people can't really hear over ~12-16khz, above ~12khz you more or less don't hear it but sense it and creates "airiness or openness" in a recording. Tinniness actually occurs around 1-2khz and is the first harmonics from a cymbal. Silibance is usually what listeners complain about, which occurs at 6khz and "piercing" occurs around 10kz. Below is an interactive chart that's been around for decades that one can use to EQ a system. It's actually intended for recording engineers, but works for car audio guys too.

I've said that twice now, maybe 3 times. I looked at the EQ, and I have everything over 10KHz tapering off.

Most OLD people can't hear that high.

Last edited:
Most OLD people can't hear that high.
Most young people can't either. I took a few semesters of electronics classes back when I was 19 or 20 and we would hook up piezo drivers to a tone generator, start at 20K and dial down until people started looking around. Nobody was looking before 15K and that's mostly college age people.

On the Dire Straits topic, I have two different versions of Money for Nothing and one is recorded very poorly, just sounds a bit anemic. Then again, I pretty much only pirate music anymore so I can't really say whether it's the original mix or whatever rip I found.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...