my first setup

Dlux
10+ year member

Kingpin
hey, this is my first post, so im obviously new to the site. im also a complete newbie at car audio. computers is my thing, but n e ways...i drive a 1997 Chevy Camaro 30th anniversary. small trunk space, and the back glass pretty much lays on top of the 2nd half of the car. i havent bought my system yet, but i am going to this week. ive come to the conclusion, that a 15" sub will rattle my back glass really bad if the sub is facing up....so im thinking that facing the sub towards the front of the car would be best (but will probably still rattle the back glass a little). like i said, i havent bought the system yet, and im a newb...but my friend knows a lot about this stuff and he's gonna help me install it all. he recommended this stuff and said that legacy audio isnt really HIGH quality stuff, but its good. here are the links to what im going to buy. i want to hear your advice/opinions please!!!

Sub: http://www.teptronics.com/lw15590.html

Amp: http://www.teptronics.com/la1868.html

Capacitor: http://www.teptronics.com/lca280sl.html

Box: http://www.teptronics.com/sb15.html

Wiring Kit: http://www.teptronics.com/icbmalpha.html

I already have a pioneer head unit.

no none of that is good.

dont need a cap do big 3 and get a new or second battery.

build your own box 99% of the time prefabs sound like doodoo

legacy is a crappy brand.

check out soundsolutionsaudio.com for their mach5 products. The MAW 15" is only like $90 and will be 10000x better than your legacy sub.

check out knukonceptz.com for wires. They have a super cheap 4ga kit and its good quality product.

as for an amp i would look in the classifieds or seomthing. onlinecarstereo.com has a superb TMA 500.1 that would be a great match for the maw15.

x542254 on all that said.... with the price of that stuff i see you have at least a $300 budget... you can definetly find a decent setup on here somewhere that'll make you a hell of a lot happier than legacy...

ok, ok, i get it...legacy is crap for quality.

soo, right now im looking at a kicker 15" but its only 1000w peak power....is that gonna thump hard???

and the 30th anniversary i have actually has red/black stripes down the sides of the camaro. and yes, its rare...i love it. its also got the 30th anniv. logo in the headrests. but anyways

i raise a new question to u guys...is a 15" 1000w kicker enough...cuz the only kinda of music i listen to is rap...and i want it to hit hard. another question....qhat kind of amp should i buy? my budget isnt exactly large...im trying to spend less than $400 on everything.

how do i make a box that sounds good?? i have every power tool u can imagine, but im not sure how to make a box that wont rattle and sound like crap. im sure theres a tutorial on here somewhere.

also, i have a read a number of posts talking about "the big3" or something like that. what is that? could someone explain please...and what do u guys have against capacitors??

the big 3 is re running the following

the wire from the alt. to the battery +

a new ground from the battery to the body

and a new ground from the motor to the body

you will want to use wire no smaller than 4ga., 0 or 1/0 would be the best.

as for the cap, sometimes they help, sometimes they dont. in most cases the big 3 will take care of most power needs. if for some reason you have a voltage spike and or drop problem, that is when a cap might help.

as an example, i have a bronco with a 75 amp alt and run a ppi 600.2 art at 2 ohms mono, and a fosgate 500x 4 ch. both these amps can draw up to over 100 amps togeather(at MAX output) and even with the a/c, headlights on my voltage never drops below 13.2v at idle and this is with underdrive pullies. i have the big 3 done and a cap.

Where are you putting the box? where the T tops are supposed to go? if so you will have some fun fitting a 15 right there. Not that its not possible...but I think you should look at two tens. My buddy used to have two type r 10s in I think a 3.5cu ft ported box where the t tops went. He metered in the low 140s with a crappy xplode amp. Type Rs are cheap and IMO suit your wants. There are plenty of other subs that will do the same or better though...

A type R and an Amp would get you up to that 400$ mark.. For just the sub and amp..

Then theres wiring, I'm hoping the HU isn't in this 400$ budget as well?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.