My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

Yowza!

Attachments

• small-ear.jpg
    small-ear.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 154
I removed the bulk of the wires, the subwoofer, both amplifiers, distribution blocks, the capacitor (used for keeping the system quiet), ground block and main fuse from the Jeep. I will transfer what I can to the G6, use new what needs to be new. I have two dash kits. A DIN and a Double DIN. I will be using my X998 eXcelon single DIN for a bit to have something to mock up the system with that will be functional until I replace it with the Double Din eXcelon.

Attachments

• Radio-Out-resize.jpg
    Radio-Out-resize.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 159
I made the new wire harness for the Pontiac. I think it looks clean. The harness will be permanent until the new Kenwood gets here and I have to splice THAT harness into this one. I took my time, spliced all the wires together and used heat shrink on each individual wire, then I wrapped all of it in exterior Tesa tape.

Attachments

• Temp-Radio.jpg
    Temp-Radio.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 147
I got the head unit in, ran the six channels of RCA cables... those were fun but they are very well hidden and run along the right side of the center console with the remote wire. My buddy and I ran out of daylight so we stopped for the night. I will finish the install tomorrow by myself. The 0awg power cable is going to be a pain in the ass.

On the list for tomorrow:

Install the Stinger Circuit Breaker near the battery.
Run the power cable.
Run the speaker wires.
Fabricate the ground.
Install the amplifiers.
Install the subwoofer.

I swear to the God of Car Audio, I will have amplified sound coming out of my speakers by days end tomorrow!! I also realized that my Barbara Ann can be run band pass on channels 3/4 in stereo. So I am going to set her to about 70hz on the low side and 3K @12db on the high side for channels 3 and 4 and channels 1/2 will run my tweeters and I will set those to High Pass at 3K @12db. This is going to be nasty loud lol... I will have to attenuate the tweeters in the head unit for sure. Each SilverFlute 6.5" and each eXcelon tweeter will have it's own 100w RMS channel. Poor lil tweeters lol.

Last edited:
The stereo is in.... My US Acoustics 4chnl amp is broken. It is in perfect shape but for whatever reason decided it was gonna shed parts on me. It was making weird crackling noises and the volume was cutting on and off then blasting to full volume then back to crackling. So I pulled the RCA cables off to troubleshoot and one of the RCA cable ends had a piece of the amp stuck in the RCA. The silver metal part of the RCA input on the amp for channel #2. I inspected the part and it looked in great shape... it just pulled right on out with the cable. I am sure it is just one of those things that happen when manufacturing stuff but man, QC should have caught that. I contacted SSA and hopefully they give me some direction as the amp is supposed to be under warranty for two years.

On a side note... I gave Barbara new RCA cables... Knukonceptz Krystal RCA's. Previously there were Walmart bought, Scosche RCA cables. The Scosche were slightly looser than the Krystal RCA's but they Krystal's aren't vice grip tight.

Last edited:
Still sorting things out with my US Acoustics amp and I took some pics of what happened. As I explained to SSA and US Acoustics, I tested the RCA's on ALL the RCA inputs and I tested the one in the pic with the hardware still in it as well... no issues going in or coming out of the RCA inputs for channels 1, 3, and 4. I am sure this has happened to others before and I don't think it is a big deal... seems like it is a pretty rare issue. Like I said, the Knukoncepts RCA's are just a little tighter than the Scosche RCA's that were used before.

So......... until I get THAT sorted out, I am pulling out an amp I forgot about so I can continue to have some tunes. A Solar Series Quantum Audio 4chn amp. Hey, it's class A/B I think........ and it works.

Attachments

• 20190923_192708_HDR.jpg
    20190923_192708_HDR.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190923_192803_HDR.jpg
    20190923_192803_HDR.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20190923_185040_HDR.jpg
    20190923_185040_HDR.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 145
  • 20190923_185908_HDR.jpg
    20190923_185908_HDR.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 141
Holy Bovine does a DSP make a huge.... HUGE difference in sound. I hooked up the 3sixty and grabbed a laptop. Again, just mocking everything up in anticipation of the eXcelon DD HU.

Channels 1 and 2 are my eXcelon 1-1/8" soft dome tweeters in the factory locations at the top of the doors. Crossed @ 3k, Link/Ri @12db
Channels 3 and 4 are my SilverFlute 6.5" Midbass in the factory location at the lower door. Band Passed at 75Hz and 3.5k, Link/Ri @12db
Channels 7 and 8 are summed mono for the RF Punch P3 10" sub. Crossed @ 80hz, Link/Ri @12db.

So I am running 5 speakers active and holy taco Tuesday is it night and day different than just running from the head unit directly to the amps and using the head units DSP. I spent about 30 minutes doing crossovers then doing some EQing. I can see how people say you can spend the better part of a day tweaking the settings in a DSP. The sub hits harder in the car than it did in the back of the grand Cherokee. I guess the cabin gain is greater in the G6. So much more to do when I get more amplifiers and the new head unit.

Jesus... ya'll could have warned me. So I adjusted some levels and set distances and blah blah blah. I drive all night at work listening to ALL sorts of different music which sounds like it is left channel heavy. About half way through the night I take a listen to the right door... the tweeter is almost off it is so quiet. Inside the 3Sixty.3, I unlinked the tweeters (Brain Fart) and adjusted the output level. I forgot they weren't linked so I adjusted the left tweeter only (Resting ***** Face). So before I go to work tomorrow I will have to plug the laptop back in and tweak it some more.

Oh yeah... and crossing over the damn speakers isn't as simple as crossing over the speakers. Like my mid, it is crossed at like 3K and my tweet is crossed at like 3.5K.... There is so much damn overlap in frequencies it's nuckin futs. Like I should cross the tweet at 3.75K and the Mid at like 2.5K and EQ the inbetwixed bits. So I am going to have to try different crossovers, different "db's per octave" 12, 24, 36... different eq settings. I will try the Butterworth next... apparently it is the most common for it's -3db downslope thing it does or something like that.

Side note/Final thought thingy...
The RF 3Sixty.3 is pretty cool. I am diggin the dual knob remote. There is a learning curve for sure but for the most part, it makes sense.

I guess the strain was too much for my eXcelon tweeter to bear. My right tweeter let go so I swapped in the Alpine's. I switched all crossovers to Butterworth... I like syrup! Mid was at 2Khz for some reason and the tweeters were at 3k. So the Mids are at 3.5k and the tweets are at 3.5K and both at 12db. I remeasured all the speaker distances and reset the levels. Sounds decent now but I will know more tonight while I drive. I made a backup of the preset.

Attachments

• 20190927_125324_HDR.jpg
    20190927_125324_HDR.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 140
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...