My dad just informed me of some bad news.. help me out..

this might not even be an option but my cousin just bought a nice little 02 VW GTI, the thing is loaded up, got it for 11k from a dealer locally...it runs real nice and gets great mileage, something like 27mpg he said... it's a 4 cyl, but it's turbo and it moves...

i didn't read all the posts so this may not be something your into, but i was thinking about picking one up now as my daily driver...

this might not even be an option but my cousin just bought a nice little 02 VW GTI, the thing is loaded up, got it for 11k from a dealer locally...it runs real nice and gets great mileage, something like 27mpg he said... it's a 4 cyl, but it's turbo and it moves...
i didn't read all the posts so this may not be something your into, but i was thinking about picking one up now as my daily driver...
Good choice, but I wouldn't get a VW MKIV turbo engine... to problematic in the long run. I have an '03 GTI VR6 (24v 201hp variant) that scores me anywhere from 27-31 on the highway and 18-22 city. I usually drive with a heavy foot.

Just traded my Trailblazer for a Chrysler 300 for the same reason. I got the V6 because it gets 28 MPH on the interstate. Lots of space and a big trunk. Not less than $13,000 though.

x3 on the gti......my friend just bought one a couple months ago...he gets great mpg and pretty nice power too. he paid i think about 12k for an '03 with leather and the whole nine yards. a few hundred bucks will almost double your horsepower. he added a boost controller to up the factory turbo to 20lbs of boost daily and a 3inch turbo-back exhaust and is making ~225 to the front wheels.

also consider anything with the gm 3800 v6. most reliable engine gm ever made. I drive a 1990 buick lesabre with a 3800, i get ~18-20 city and ~27 highway(@80mph) . it runs like new with 138k miles.

i got an 03 accord v6 coupe that gives me 20-24 miles city and suppose to give 30 miles on highway but havent driven on a long trip to see how much it gives on traveling.

pontiac firebird //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif (v6 model) get 25+ on highway, about 20 city and its sharp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

srt-4's can be had for around 12-13k if you get one with "high" mileage (being like 70-80k) and get 22 in the city, depending on you're driving. take the spare outa the trunk and there's plenty of space for subs and ****
Not sure where you got the idea that they have lots of room. That's the biggest complaint I have about mine is the lack of trunk space. I will be selling it soon though. Very low mileage. '03. Very well maintained. Never raced or driven all that hard. 32K miles. Mid-high 20's on the highway, mid to low 20's in town. Drive with a heavy foot and expect below 20 in town. Requires premium.

u no turnin on ur ac doesnt effect your mph, its been tested on myth busters.
That was one of the Mythbusters "tests" that I had the biggest problems with. The degree to which running the A/C affect fuel comsumption is directly dependant on how fast you are driving and the size and efficiency of the engine that you are working with. Same with the windows being down. The faster you drive, the less of the engine power as a percentage is being used to power the A/C compressor as opposed to overcoming drag. The load from the A/C compressor is a constant, drag increases with the square of velocity. The windows down affects drag so as long as the power required to overcome the increased drag of having the windows down is less than the power required by the A/C, the A/C is less efficient and has a negative effect on fuel economy. There is a break even point where the two are equal. Once you exceed the break even speed, the A/C will become increasingly more efficient compared to having the windows down. However, turning the A/C off and having the windows up is gonig to get you better gas mileage. So will reducing the weight of your car, making sure that it is clean and the finish is waxed, making sure your tire pressure is correct, minimzing the tire contact patch with narrower tires, making sure the air filter is clean and the plugs are good and bunch of other little things.

My daily commute is 220 miles typically at 80-90 mph.

West palm beach to Melbourne.

I was driving a Tundra 4x4 V8 which I loved, but getting 13-15 mpg on the highway just wasn't cutting it.

I bought an Infiniti G35 6MT. I get 26 mpg at 80-90 every day. It saves me $500 a month in gas over the Tundra. The car pays for itself and it's a blast to drive.

I preferred driving the Tundra, but it was just too much. Audio wise, I had much better luck in the Tundra as well, but the G35 is coming along.

My wife bought a 2002 Maxima SE for 13,000 with 40K on it fully loaded w/ leather, etc. It gets about the same mileage as my G35 and is great to drive. Driving my G35 which is not a slow car, I'm always surprised how strong her car is when I drive it.

i have have gone with avw gti or even a jetta...if yuor looking for cheap easy horsepower id love with a 1.8t , but if you wnat like raw power i say a 12v vr6, the 24v parts are really expensive and there a ***** to work on....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.