Mounting loacations for component x-overs??

Participant count
  • Participant list
I always thought it was safest to mount them as close to the component set as possible... my front crossovers are sealed, wrapped in foam, and squeezed inside my door panels, my rear ones are up in the roof of the car where the speakers are (cargo area)...

...but I could be wrong. =)

Well, I guess the safe bet is to put them in the door, but they just look really cool and I I'd love to show them off (at times).

Here's some things I've been pondering: (1) the amp is in the back, so the wire has to be run from the trunk anyway, so is spliting the signal back there that bad? (2) if it is bad then why do the big time audiofiles use giant XO's mounted in their trunk? Their's aren't in the door? (3) Maybe this is old-technology-wife's-tales and newer shielded speaker wire wouldn't have those tendencies? (4) Maybe the key is that the XO could cut out the frequencies that were picked up between the amp and the XO before it hits the speaker, so if the XO if further upstream the noise would be introduced after the XO??

This has been deeep thoughts with Dave not-so-Handy.

If there is nothing close enough to interfere there wont be a problem with leaving the XO in the trunk. For show I always wanted to put the comps and XOs in kicks maybe with a removable cover so it's not obvious unless I wanna show em.

Mike

Originally posted by Passat 35i Well, I guess the safe bet is to put them in the door, but they just look really cool and I I'd love to show them off (at times).

Here's some things I've been pondering: (1) the amp is in the back, so the wire has to be run from the trunk anyway, so is spliting the signal back there that bad? (2) if it is bad then why do the big time audiofiles use giant XO's mounted in their trunk? Their's aren't in the door? (3) Maybe this is old-technology-wife's-tales and newer shielded speaker wire wouldn't have those tendencies? (4) Maybe the key is that the XO could cut out the frequencies that were picked up between the amp and the XO before it hits the speaker, so if the XO if further upstream the noise would be introduced after the XO??

This has been deeep thoughts with Dave not-so-Handy.
Splitting the signal in the trunk will not effect it unless it is near a power wire or something like that...maybe. Think of it this way, if you use only the X-over on the amp your going to run the speaker wire to the speaker up front. By using an external X-over the only difference is that your running an extra speaker wire.

JM$0.02

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.