8" Sub With 4.5" Mounting Depth

Old_Slapper

CarAudio.com Regular
USA
Hey guys.
I'm new to the site, but old to the game.
I have a 2004 F150 crewcab. I have about .75 cubic feet under the rear seat, on the driver's side. I was looking at a shallow 10 in a sealed box, but I know I would get more bass out of an 8" in a ported box. I have been out of the audio world for about 10 years. I am not up to date on what's out there. What are your thoughts on what sub would give me the hardest, but still deep, bass? The sub needs to have a mounting depth of no more than 4.5" and I have 600watts available.

Here is what I have been looking at:
  • Skar VD-8
  • Kicker L7T-8
  • Kicker L7S-8
  • DS18 Elite-Z
  • Rockville W8K6D4 (I know this brand was known as garbage, but...)

Hey guys.
I have a 2004 F150 crewcab. I have about .75 cubic feet under the rear seat, on the driver's side. I was looking at a shallow 10 in a sealed box, but I know I would get more bass out of an 8" in a ported box. I have been out of the audio world for about 10 years. I am not up to date on what's out there. What are your thoughts on what sub would give me the hardest, but still deep, bass? The sub needs to have a mounting depth of no more than 4.5" and I have 600watts available.

• Skar VD-8
  • Kicker L7T-8
  • Kicker L7S-8
  • DS18 Elite-Z
Alpine makes a loaded enclosure designed to fit under the rear seats of crew cabs. IIRC it's ported.

Alpine makes a loaded enclosure designed to fit under the rear seats of crew cabs. IIRC it's ported.
I took a look, and I didn't see any specific boxes for this truck. I did see truck boxes, but those will not fit under the my seat. Am I missing something?

Hey guys.

• Skar VD-8
  • Kicker L7T-8
  • Kicker L7S-8
  • DS18 Elite-Z
If I was in your situation, I would check my local best buy to see if they stocked any of the units that I wanted. Stop past their stereo install bay to test fit it before purchasing.

If I was in your situation, I would check my local best buy to see if they stocked any of the units that I wanted. Stop past their stereo install bay to test fit it before purchasing.
I will be building the box to get the most out of my space, and to tune it to the sub. I am also not a fan of down fire, so the speaker will be installed facing up and on a little slant.

I would stay away from the solobaric kickers. Thats what I have now:
wall all PS.jpg

Before these, I was running the Kicker comp RT slim subs

setup 2.jpg

These Solobaric 12" slims are rated at 600w RMS, & 1200w Peak.
The Round kickers were 10" slims rated 500w RMS & 1000w Peak.

The solobarics are slow moving. They just don't pop like the 10s did, and right now the 3 12s are getting 900w each, and the (2) 10s were only getting 500w each. They feel like they are only on 7 cylinders. Just like it's a hair sluggish.

If I could find another one of these discontinued 10" slims, I would rather have 3 10s than 3 12s. I see you want ported enclosures, so that may change things. These are their factory enclosures.

Just to make sure, did you check out the kicker comp RTs?

I would stay away from the solobaric kickers. Thats what I have now:
View attachment 55141

Before these, I was running the Kicker comp RT slim subs

View attachment 55142

These Solobaric 12" slims are rated at 600w RMS, & 1200w Peak.
The Round kickers were 10" slims rated 500w RMS & 1000w Peak.

The solobarics are slow moving. They just don't pop like the 10s did, and right now the 3 12s are getting 900w each, and the (2) 10s were only getting 500w each. They feel like they are only on 7 cylinders. Just like it's a hair sluggish.

If I could find another one of these discontinued 10" slims, I would rather have 3 10s than 3 12s. I see you want ported enclosures, so that may change things. These are their factory enclosures.

Just to make sure, did you check out the kicker comp RTs?

In a sealed enclosure, I was never really impressed with the L7's. Ported is where the shine. However, I know times have changed, so I'm taking all this info to heart. I currently have an L7 that I have had since 2003 or 2004. It doesn't fit in my F150, and I want more beat for my sons Ranger.

Here is a picture of my last big projects. It was me and 2 other guys working on it. I built a ported enclosure for the 3 JL 12W6's. It slammed so hard. He wanted a sealed box because he wanted it to sound smooth without port noise, so I built him a ported box. He couldn't tell it was ported. I found ways to hide the noise and still get the sealed box sound.

I did a downfire box recently for a 2004 f150. super small area under the rear seat. Was able to squeeze almost 1 cube in going all the way across. He used horrible 10 inch Rockville shallow mount subs though unfortunately. Really small space under those rear seats. I tried everything I could to talk him into going sealed, but he insisted on ported, even though there isn’t enough room to effectively port a 10 inch sub under there. Ended up with .9 cubes tuned to 38 HZ. I recommended plugging the port at some point and trying the JL shallow mounts sealed. I think he’d get a much better sound. It’s very difficult to convince 17 year old kids that Facebook doesn’t give the best advice.
C7D71A1C-2683-4DD3-AC88-2A5F3932FEA1.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...