Mounting a Sub on plexiglass....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Omarvelous
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Queens, NY
NICE.bmp

Was wondering if there is anyone that would know much about mounting a sub on plexiglass?

The sub will either be a 12" XXX or 15" XXX.

Was wondering if

- 3/4" Plexiglass would be sufficient, and i could mount the sub on top OR

- Do a double baffle using 2 3/4" layer sheets of plexiglass, and mount on top OR

- Use 2 3/4" sheets, one for the mount hole (14 1/8" for the 15" for example) and the other to flush mount sub(the other at about 15 1/8" for the 15")?

The box i'm building will be a mix of fiberglass/mdf/plexiglass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Just a possible thought for now.

Thank you! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/moon.gif.9d317aec3339ffe7fde0638df52c628a.gif

http://www.bcae1.com/plexi.htm

3/4" should be fine, because plexi is slightly stronger than MDF, but be very careful.

Also, remember plexi is very expensive. I just got a KILLER deal on 3/4" thick plexi, I got 1' x 2' for $20, only because it was leftovers and the company is moving facilites and needed to get rid of all their drop cuts... so it pays to call around I guess...

Good luck with the pelxi!

-----Nate

Yea all i really need is like not even 2' x 2'. Plus my boy that lives in chicago leave right next to one of the largest plexiglass producers, and can get it dirt cheap.

So you suggest my first suggestion

- 3/4" Plexiglass would be sufficient, and i could mount the sub on top OR

Yeah, I mean, a small 3/4" sheet is pretty **** strong, especially if the magnent is hanging down like that. If you were going to be facing it rearward or wanted to be more careful, 1" thick plexi should be plenty, but again, be REALLY careful mounting it and cutting the hole for the sub and everything... this is not something you want to do twice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.