Modern DSP wired controller upgrade idea

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
I was thinking modern DSPs nowadays can be controlled on the smartphone, play music through a bluetooth dongle, has a wired controller for a knob which basically can let them function as stand alone head units but they are missing a core function... a bluetooth mic. Wouldn't it be great if they can add the bluetooth mic into the wired controller? Also it would be great if you can scroll through custom tuning presets saved on your dsp through the wired controller. Also having your voltage display in a corner of the screen would be nice as well as having a knob for master volume and rca bass output.

Literally bypasses everything a basic audio guy needs from his ride. a stock clean look, amazing audio and basic head unit hands free functionality.

It won't be long before more makers jump onto the DSP bandwagon. By then I hope some of the veteran engineers/makers take into account your ideas here and more.  Are you looking at the bluetooth mic feature for handsfree interaction (phone calls, voice recognition, etc.) or more than that?  I do not see why the DSP app cannot just allow a plugin for voice either via Android integration or some other API source. Not everyone relys on Google, but if they allowed it any voice recognition service could work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having my first car with stock BT and USB, i find that i long for a direct connection and/or an actual CD player. The BT audio doesnt have the same gain as my phone and AUX input and the USB thumb drive interface is very clunky at best. Cortana works better over the AUX vs BT as well and since my phone does everything i want/need, the redundant systems in the car are just sitting there now. Im not entirely convinced wireless will ever beat out a direct source for quality.

Having my first car with stock BT and USB, i find that i long for a direct connection and/or an actual CD player. The BT audio doesnt have the same gain as my phone and AUX input and the USB thumb drive interface is very clunky at best. Cortana works better over the AUX vs BT as well and since my phone does everything i want/need, the redundant systems in the car are just sitting there now. Im not entirely convinced wireless will ever beat out a direct source for quality.
stock bt is crappy 3.0  When you have a real BT connection like APTX hd it'll be the same as lossless streams.  There's different grades of bluetooth. There is also the issue of a sh*tty stock head unit with a crappy stock DAC which doesnt even break 16 bit.  

So unless you use actual bluetooth gear thats designed for quality audio streaming, its not right for you to make a blanked statement like that. Its like saying saying you have a prototype early model innacurate weak unreliable gun and saying I dont think guns will ever beat out a bow and arrow in killing someone.

We have bluetooth 5.0 and aptx and aptx HD now its just as lossless as a CD if your bluetooth codec technology is good enough but most car manufacturers are using decade old bluetooth modules aka 3.0 which is several generations behind what the current technology is.

stock bt is crappy 3.0  When you have a real BT connection like APTX hd it'll be the same as lossless streams.  There's different grades of bluetooth. There is also the issue of a sh*tty stock head unit with a crappy stock DAC which doesnt even break 16 bit.  

So unless you use actual bluetooth gear thats designed for quality audio streaming, its not right for you to make a blanked statement like that. Its like saying saying you have a prototype early model innacurate weak unreliable gun and saying I dont think guns will ever beat out a bow and arrow in killing someone.

We have bluetooth 5.0 and aptx and aptx HD now its just as lossless as a CD if your bluetooth codec technology is good enough but most car manufacturers are using decade old bluetooth modules aka 3.0 which is several generations behind what the current technology is.
I get all of that, i do. However, too much of the car is integrated into the display that i cannot replace it and if i wanted to, the options are severely limited for a 2017 Mazda 3, which is why im just going to create my own 'system' that will allow the stock parts to play through it for things like nav or door chimes. Everything else will play through a dedicated source that ill graft in.

I am not saying it is not possible or you are not capable, but if you are trying to build from scratch your own standalone IoT device or the like to run your audio and Car bells/whistles it will be tough.  To do that all from scratch and achieve the level of fidelity or even post processing that years of engineering/RnD do with the latest HUs or DSPs will be challenging. Even if your coding skill are excellent it will be challenging. 

Or maybe I mis-read too far into your post...

I am not saying it is not possible or you are not capable, but if you are trying to build from scratch your own standalone IoT device or the like to run your audio and Car bells/whistles it will be tough.  To do that all from scratch and achieve the level of fidelity or even post processing that years of engineering/RnD do with the latest HUs or DSPs will be challenging. Even if your coding skill are excellent it will be challenging. 

Or maybe I mis-read too far into your post...
Yea, you went way out in left field lol. Everything im adding will be line level to (probably) the Dayton DSP408 since it has multiple inputs. I want that only for sub sonic and EQ reasons though, might seem to be a waste of money, but any good old school EQ runs between $100-150 anyways, i only need 5-9 bands anyways. Basically the DSP will be an expensive Y adapter to allow both systems to work through one set of amps/speakers.

Yea, you went way out in left field lol. Everything im adding will be line level to (probably) the Dayton DSP408 since it has multiple inputs. I want that only for sub sonic and EQ reasons though, might seem to be a waste of money, but any good old school EQ runs between $100-150 anyways, i only need 5-9 bands anyways. Basically the DSP will be an expensive Y adapter to allow both systems to work through one set of amps/speakers.
Ok. Sorry about that, I have seen a few people post similar ideas, but have the notion on building their own Android auto-like deck.  I too have had my eyes on the Dayton 408, it is in my cart right now am just waiting to pull the trigger on it.  

Ok. Sorry about that, I have seen a few people post similar ideas, but have the notion on building their own Android auto-like deck.  I too have had my eyes on the Dayton 408, it is in my cart right now am just waiting to pull the trigger on it.  
Its no biggie lol. Are you on XDA forums under this name too? Im Talon Pro over there lol.

I sold every single one of those prototypes and all for like a third of what they were all worth.  All I kept back was an RM-983.  Just recently that one experienced a tradgedy so I ordered a 929 off ebay yesterday.

Back on Android since before December for now...
Ah. Im holding out. MS released a patch in Jan that almost hosed the phone. It freezes up a lot more and im getting pissed cause its almost like they are pulling an Apple on us to make us stop using them before they kill them off. Once im forced to change, im looking at a Nokia 7 or w/e model they have at that time, cause i dont want to give up my Zeiss lenses.

Ah. Im holding out. MS released a patch in Jan that almost hosed the phone. It freezes up a lot more and im getting pissed cause its almost like they are pulling an Apple on us to make us stop using them before they kill them off. Once im forced to change, im looking at a Nokia 7 or w/e model they have at that time, cause i dont want to give up my Zeiss lenses.
Had an S8+ for a while 200.00 brand new. Cracked it. Using a Nokia 6 2018 for now just to get by. We have pretty much hijacked jefdachef's thread by now....so bringing it back, do we know if the Dayon 408 has firmware support, and if so does Dayton plan on maintaining it or any news there?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.