Mid speaker enclosure advice -Peerless

Participant count
  • Participant list

anamolydetected

Colorado
Hi, I recently purchased 2 Peerless 830946 6-1/2" mid-bass woofers. As the title says I am seeking advice on building a proper enclosure. -They are going into my work van and I was thinking about a custom mount behind my driver's seat (above my 10" JL sub)..separate them by about 20"..and run them in stereo

When I searched for other projects using these I found:

Peerless SLS 6.5" (830946) project - diyAudio

and

Peerless SLS 6.5 (830946) box size

BUT, I remember reading somewhere that mid-woofers should not have a rectangular box..and that for mid-woofers it was important to reduce standing waves as much as possible..and so an asymmetrical box or even rounded back was recommended. Could someone please confirm or deny whether I should be building some sort of strange-shaped enclosure for these?? -I would happily build whatever may sound the best! -I will even turn your advice into a DIY thread with some juicy pictures

Also, it was mentioned that reducing the box volume increased the resonant frequency of the box?? The specs from Peerless call for just over 3 liters per woofer (sealed). Could someone explain what would be the sound difference or frequency response if I used 2.5 liters instead?

In the second link a person said this speaker "fell apart" above 250hz. I had originally thought to run these active witha 12db @100hz (or a little higher) high pass and 24db slope at 450hz low pass. Any advice on that also? -If not I suppose I will just have to test that out when my enclosures are finished.

Definitely would love some input! I have all of the tools/supplies to build any kind of custom enclosure for these..and want to get it done by the end of today! xD

Last question: when mounting..should I aim these towards my ears..or reverse (like subwoofers)??

Answers, thoughts, suggestions, questions???

THANKS!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.